Hello Back Yard Chicken Friends!

ceeceeemm

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 2, 2014
Well, Hello!
My name is Carol, and I LOVE chickens!
Me and my family started a 'Chicken Farm' last spring and had 18 to start, the family has grown soooo much since last March!
from 18 to about 30 in just a couple months!

Soon after all the chickens were raised I found my favorite breed!:)
POLISH CHICKENS! I ran out to the nearest farm with my father last may and fell in love with 2 Polish hens and a Polish Rooster! we lost the rooster a couple days after we got him...sadly he was the smallest of the new chicks we got the same day as him and he passed away from being stepped on and picked on. The 2 hens had lasted quite a while but last month I lost Trixie. She would let you pick her up and rub her neck. She was the friendliest. I lost her to one of our dogs. I still have Dixie, she has gotten a heck of a lot friendlier since her sissy passed. Today, we went and picked up 20 more baby chicks, an assortment of Brahmas Rhode Island Reds, Bantams and a Mixed breed. We lost one of our Brahmas an hour ago and were thinking were going to lose another. Both the chicks we lost/losing are from the same mama. So we arent sure f it was just an infection between the two or if its a genetic disease.

Anywho, we now have almost 50 chickens including our 2 ducks who are currently sitting 9 eggs. hopefully all of them hatch, but there's always 1 or 2 that wont make it. We're geting a few goats this spring and none of us can wait! We have 7 dogs 5 cats, a bunny and we wouldn't trade a pretty penny for any of our wonderful farm animals!

Thanks for listening! and Happy learning!:)

Dogs and chickens don't really go well together and it's always the chickens that lose. I hope you will have better luck with the next ones.

images

Sorry about all your chicken losses. It is never easy to lose them.
hugs.gif
Maybe you can glean something from BYC here as to how you can prevent any more loses.

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

Thanks all for the Warm Welcome! I can't wait to be able to participate with you all on a more frequent basis!!!

Back
Top Bottom