Hello, BackYard Chickens Family!

Hi everyone! I'm new to the backyard chickens community, but have lurked here for the past month as my first flock has grown from hatchlings to gangly little teenaged chicks. My whole life I was a suburban kid through and through, I had never so much as seen a chicken in the flesh. Then 2 years ago I quit my job, packed up my car, and went to live on farms for 11 months. I learned everything I possibly could, moved onto a little parcel of land in N Florida, and finally got my very first chickens in February.

I honest to goodness only planned on getting a dozen to start. I found a local homestead that had a variety of few-day-old chicks and got 3 each:

Delaware
Rhode Island Red
Ameraucana
Mystic Onyx

Then a friend offered us 12 more 1-1.5 week chicks on the same day: 🤪

3 Buff Orpingtons
9 Barred Rocks

Needless to say, we learned that chicken math is a very real thing.

I have been so grateful to this community for being a wealth of knowledge, compassion, and love. We've had our ups and downs already - we lost one Mystic and one Barred on the same night a couple of weeks back. We had a RIR with constipation issues (so happy to report that with some careful doctoring, she's doing amazing now!) The rest of the chickies are marvelously healthy, beautiful, and have tremendously unique personalities. I'm getting pretty close to being identify whether they're pullets or cockerels!

I consider this to be the beginning of the adventure of a lifetime, and I'm looking forward to sharing it with all of you.

Much love!
doomsie
Welcome to BYC!!

Welcome. Quit your job to go live on a farm - that is dedication to farm life. We are honored to have you here as a member of the group.
I appreciate the kind words. It's an honor to be here. I can already tell I'm in the right place. ❤️

@sourland Is there a graduation up to chicken algebra? I think I'm ready for advanced equations 😆

Back
Top Bottom