1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello BackYard Family!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Swbuda, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Swbuda

Swbuda Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    Temple TeXas
    Let me pick your brain, and I'm sure I'll get varied answers.. [​IMG] I have 16 hens of various breeds, americanas, bantys, barred-rocks, etc., 1 banty rooster, and 1 white-leghorn rooster (I think that's what he is). I want 1 more rooster. Hamlet, my leghorn, is about 6-mos-old, and a good rooster. [​IMG] But I have my heart set on an americana rooster (?). I hear they are good around kids, gentle, good natured.. True? I want something my Grandaughters can love on. Hamlet and Speck, (Banty), both allow it and seem to enjoy the attention.. Well, there it is.. Please help me out.. What do you think?? Thanks.. [​IMG]

2. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Silkie or banty cochin maybe? I do have a couple of Ameraucana roos, and they are sweet. But they are also very very young, so I have no idea how they'll turn out in the long run. And I've never had a silkie or a cochin at all, so my advice isn't worth very much there! [​IMG]

How old are the grandkids? If it were me I would let them love on the hens and not the roosters. But that's just me. I'm not sure that there is a rooster of any breed that is truly kid friendly. Not trying to be an alarmist, just sayin'...

3. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    you dont' have enough hens for 3 roosters.

What will happen is one will be the boss. The other two will harrass & sneak up on hens to mate. Then the big guy will run over & chase them off.

Did this myself earlier in the year. I now have 2 roosters, a black silkie & a big red barnyard mix. They get along great.

If you want another - you can add hens or remove roosters. You should have about 10 hens per roo, but that can go up or down by several w/o much issue.

4. FarmerJamie

FarmerJamie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Quote:Can't tell from the original post anything about the run setup or if the birds free range. the boys can always be in a "bachelor coop". I had 12 hens and kept 4 boys separate. No issues.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  5. JOSEYWALES

JOSEYWALES Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2010
    I have only had one rooster. He was a Buff Orp. great with my five year old daughter let her pick him up and carry him around very gentle, wish I could say the same four the hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by