Hello, been a stalker now a member

Congratulations on finally joining. I, too, waited a long time before becoming a member. But, it's so much more fun to be able to join the conversations!

All of my birds (chickens, runner ducks and geese) are also my babies. I have kept from them the fact that I eat chicken, but only nameless, headless ones from the grocery.

I will object to spending $6 for a whole chicken at Aldi, but I won't bat an eye for a $100 vet bill to save my hen's leg.

I hope all your chicks are hens and that you find a suitable solution for your roo's fate.

Welcome to BYC!!
Thank you. When I've asked some people questions about diff. Situations I'm told to make chicken noodles. Nope that isn't even option. I can't even let my husband put one down because I can't stand the thought of him killing one. Which is why my roo is up for debate. I believe he got severe frostbite on his foot thanks to a forum on here. It hasn't fallen off yet he eats and drinks great but has to hop around. If I thought he was suffering I would put him down but he still wants to venture around and loves treats. I just don't know if it is sustainable for him to have one leg

Nice to meet you :frow
Welcome to Backyard Chickens :welcome
D030407D-B14C-452C-9A91-669C0D9356CC.jpeg

Welcome to Backyard Chickens! Sorry about your rooster's foot. I've never had a chicken with that bad of frostbite before.
Honestly I have always thought it would be fun to have chickens but living in town it wasn't allowed so when we moved i jokingly mentioned chickens thinking my husband would never go for it shockingly he was all for it. So that began my love for chickens not to eat them but to have as it's pets. Not knowing too much when it got cold i asked several people about heat and I was told no they would be fine well it got down below zero. And finally i said screw it they need heat . After a couple weeks I noticed my roo not walking right. So I did some research and thought it was bumblefoot. I treated and cleaned and watched him close then one day it just turned black. I looked on here for answers and someone had posted a pic of frostbite on foot and that's what it was. Poor guy he hops on one leg the other foot is drawn up I can tell it is dead. It terrifies me of west still happen when the day comes it breaks off it terrifies me he will be in pain. While he is bouncing around eating and drinking and meeting me at the door he seems happy. So I don't know what to do.

Back
Top Bottom