Hello BYC fellow members

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chikken Framer, Sep 9, 2016.

1. This is my first attempt at raising chickens, I have always wanted to but never had the opportunity until now. My cousin gave me a hen with 8 little chicks that were 5 days old. He also gave me a rooster. I prepared a coop and took them in. I wanted them to be free range so I looked to BYC for advice, and found that it was best to leave them locked up for a few days till they got used to their new home. Well after 3 days the rooster pecked his way out of a screen on the window and I haven't seen him since although I hear him crowing every morning. On the 4th day I let the hen and chicks out and to my surprise she had them back in the coop at 5pm. I am so happy that I have that hen to teach the little ones, she is so protective and watches over them like a hawk, no pun intended. The chicks are growing like bad weeds, I have them on scratch feed, vegetables(from the treat list only) and whatever they get in the yard during the day. So happy I found BYC for all the good advice, thank you !!!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, chikkenfarmer, and :welcome. Happy you joined us. Glad your birds (minus the rooster) are returning. One thing in your post...you said the rooster pecked his way of of the screen...if he can get out, things that eat chickens can get in. Would hate to see you lose the whole batch to a raccoon or bobcat some night. You might reinforce the weak areas with home hardware cloth. Good luck to you!

1 person likes this.
  3. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard chickens Chikken farmer !! I hope you enjoy it and the camaraderie here and everybody that goes nuts over chickens (me being one of them....) Have fun! And ask questions! Redsoxs has a very good point, if the rooster got out, the predators can get in.

4. Thanks Redsox, yes I have secured that window and the rest of the coop.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Chicks really should be on chick starter and extras like veggies shouldn't amount to more than 10% of their diet.

7. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

@drumstick diva is right... when you say scratch do you mean a three way corn, milo, and wheat scratch commonly sold at feed stores? Know that this is a very incomplete diet and the chicken equivalent of ice cream. It should never constitute more than 5-10% of the diet and shouldn't be feed to chicks younger than 8-10 weeks. They should be on a chick or grower diet until at least 16 weeks.

8. I am getting some chick starter for the chicks, but what about the hen will she be ok with it or should I throw some scratch feed also ?

9. I am getting some chick starter for the chicks, but what about the hen will she be ok with it or should I throw some scratch feed also ?

10. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Your hen will be very happy with starter feed - the higher protein level in chick starter will help her recover from 3 weeks with relatively little food / nutrition.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by