Hello BYC members..

mally1975

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 4, 2014
I'm sort of new to keeping chickens but over the last few weeks, we seem to have had it all thrown at us.. We started off with a small crew of two silkies, two frizzles and a Pekin Bantam.. Right from the offset, the Pekin was a 'bully' - throwing the slightly smaller, younger ones off the perches and pulling feathers (even cider vinegar didn't deter her), sadly she had to go back to the breeders!.. We increased our flock to 8 (5 Silkies, 3 Frizzles) and then 10 (6 Silkies, 4 Frizzles).. We decided there was room in our hearts (and coop which is 9ft x 14ft x 2.5m to roof ridgeline!) for 2 more girls and as it turned out 2 of our lovely Silkies were in fact boys (which we don't mind as they both love their cuddles!).. We got a gorgeous Speckled Pekin Bantam and a Polish.. Unfortunately as we were due to introduce to our main flock, we noticed a lot of sneezing and mucas from the little Pekin and took both to the vet.. Possible Mycoplasma case, one script for Tylan and two weeks later, she and the Polish are both on the mend but again, Nugget the Pekin comes for cuddles and Goujon loves to purr.. We dosed our main flock, disinfected and kept them all apart.. Then about a week ago, our girlie Frizzles from the main flock decided it was time to start laying!!.. It's been an interesting few weeks and a good learning experience and I still say to folk who ask me that starting to keep chickens was the best thing we ever did.. They are just so much fun to watch and look after particularly after a mad day at work, coming home to be greeted by their 'chuckling' when they see me and racing to the fence line for 'loves'.. :)

I'm sort of new to keeping chickens but over the last few weeks, we seem to have had it all thrown at us.. We started off with a small crew of two silkies, two frizzles and a Pekin Bantam.. Right from the offset, the Pekin was a 'bully' - throwing the slightly smaller, younger ones off the perches and pulling feathers (even cider vinegar didn't deter her), sadly she had to go back to the breeders!.. We increased our flock to 8 (5 Silkies, 3 Frizzles) and then 10 (6 Silkies, 4 Frizzles).. We decided there was room in our hearts (and coop which is 9ft x 14ft x 2.5m to roof ridgeline!) for 2 more girls and as it turned out 2 of our lovely Silkies were in fact boys (which we don't mind as they both love their cuddles!).. We got a gorgeous Speckled Pekin Bantam and a Polish.. Unfortunately as we were due to introduce to our main flock, we noticed a lot of sneezing and mucas from the little Pekin and took both to the vet.. Possible Mycoplasma case, one script for Tylan and two weeks later, she and the Polish are both on the mend but again, Nugget the Pekin comes for cuddles and Goujon loves to purr.. We dosed our main flock, disinfected and kept them all apart.. Then about a week ago, our girlie Frizzles from the main flock decided it was time to start laying!!.. It's been an interesting few weeks and a good learning experience and I still say to folk who ask me that starting to keep chickens was the best thing we ever did.. They are just so much fun to watch and look after particularly after a mad day at work, coming home to be greeted by their 'chuckling' when they see me and racing to the fence line for 'loves'.. :)

Unconditional Love....as long as there are treats involved. Ha ha ha!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sounds like you are really enjoying your flock! Chickens are so much fun to keep. I love to go sit with them as they go about their day. Very interesting creatures. And some of them are just love hounds! They make excellent lap warmers!!

Enjoy this wonderful journey you are on and welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sounds like you have a cute little flock! Congratulations on those first eggs! Sorry about the problems you had with the sick girls.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Sorry about your ill chick. You have some really cute breeds. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom