1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello BYC!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CherokeeGal, Sep 13, 2009.

1. CherokeeGal

CherokeeGal Out Of The Brooder

Thought I'd start here and introduce myself!

I'm a long time reader and first time poster. [​IMG] I've got a small flock of 5 hens and one rooster. When my family decided to take the plunge and get the chicks - I decided to do my research first. And I learned all I needed to know from BYC! I studied up, helped my Dad build the coop, and brought home our babies!

I also have 1 cockatiel, 3 dogs, 1 cat and 2 guinea pigs. We live on 4 acres and I love taking care of the animals. My favorite thing to do in the morning is watch the jack-rabbits and deer graze in the early light. [​IMG]

About three months ago my mom asked me why our hen Bonnie was so obnoxious and pushy. I told her that with that lack of a rooster- she must be kind of taking on the role of the dominate female. After all, that is where the term "pecking-order" came from right? A few weeks later we noticed she was developing some really spectacular coloring. How pretty, we thought. She was so much more colorful than the other hens.

And then it happened.

While my Mom and I were walking to the coop, Bonnie made the strangest noise. It sounded like someone was trying to strangle her! We rushed to the coop and discovered that nothing was wrong. The chicks all seemed to be fine. And then my mom said it.

"Why did our hen just crow!?"

That was the day we realized that feed stores are not 100% accurate when sexing.

Bonnie's name was quickly changed. First to Clyde- then to Foghorn. He pretty much goes by anything, including "THAT LOUD ONE."

It was among the many things we have learned since then. Like how chickens love to look at shiny things- or how fussy some hens are about their nests.

All and all I have LOVED having chickens and look forward to every new day with them. I was so excited about a week ago when we got our first egg. It was a blue-ish color so I quickly named Pam (our Americana) as the layer. And now, my younger brother and I rush out each morning and check for eggs.

My name is Sam (girl) and I'm so happy to finally have joined. Thanks BYC for all you've helped me with! Happy to be aboard! [​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG] from Washington

Congrats on the eggs & chickens

Imp

3. troutbum

troutbum Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2009
    Vancouver, Washington
    [​IMG] Hello and welcome to BYC from another member in the only Washington

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    [​IMG] from Texas!

5. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from NJ!

6. Daysiechicks

Daysiechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Salt Lake City
    Welcome from SLC [​IMG]

7. Capone

Capone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Rhode Island
    [​IMG] welcome sam from rhode island. nice a blue egg. hope you have a good time here. every one is very nice

8. 19Dawn76

19Dawn76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Toadsuck, AR
    Welcome from Arkansas!

9. CherokeeGal

CherokeeGal Out Of The Brooder

Oh my!

Thanks you guys! I wasn't expecting so many responses in such a short time! BYC must be the friendliest forum ever! Thanks!

10. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    Welcome from Tennessee. I call BYC's speed learning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by