Hello chicken friends!! From Polk county, FLA

My name is Melissa and I’ll be getting some chicks from a friend soon. I’ve never raised chickens but I am super excited!

1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
-Yes, they aren’t even hatched yet and should be ready by April!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I hope to have 4 depending on how many my friend hatches!

(3) What breeds do you have?
Not sure yet but I believe she has a mixture of different breeds. She has some bantams, and I’m not sure of the other breeds.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Well I have two kids, my oldest is 4 and I want him to learn how to raise chickens and possibly get in a 4H club.
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I like to garden and I love plants, bees and frogs! I also love wine, and I sew and play video games.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I have a lovely little family, my husband and I, and a 10 month old daughter and my 4 year old son! I am a SAHM. I’m originally from MA and have been in Florida for 10 years now! I’m a big Pats and Red Sox fan :)

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I found BYC by searching for coop plans online! I’m so glad I stumbled upon this awesome site. It will surely be helpful. Thank you for creating it!

I hope to find myself a little second family here! I’m sure I’ll be asking a lot of question soon because I will be taking in baby chicks around April.
Welcome here Mama this is indeed a great place to learn ALL about chicken anything! I have learned so much here in 3 years, great community , eager to help. Just ask, someone will have the answer, we were all new at one time.

Welcome here Mama this is indeed a great place to learn ALL about chicken anything! I have learned so much here in 3 years, great community , eager to help. Just ask, someone will have the answer, we were all new at one time.
Thank you so much ☺️ everyone is so kind here, I am already getting lost in all the threads! It seems chicken ppl are very nice ppl 🥰🥰My chicken coop is being delivered in a couple minutes so I’ll be sure to post it up In Here!

That’s awesome!!! Where do you get your chicks from? They’re all sold out at the moment but some local feed stores have given me dates of when they’re getting some in.

I’m in Auburndale, 45 min from you!
My 3 big girls are what's left of my original flock of 10 (coyotes). They came from Rural King.

My 11 pullets (8 Calico Princess and 3 Sapphire Olive Eggers) are part of a 15 chick order from Hoover's Hatchery. Due to winter conditions, those birds were delayed in shipping and came in 2 days late.

I lost 4 and decided not to order chicks online in winter anymore.

There are some "local" hatcheries within an hour or two that I think I'll be doing business with in the future.

As soon as I get these 11 out of the big brooder, I'm going to get 6 more for an even 20. I'll drive and get those personally. I just haven't decided yet what lol. Definitely blue eggers as I lost both of them to the 'Yotes.

What type of chickens are you interested in?

Back
Top Bottom