Hello! Chicken newbie here!

jjacks1

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2020
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Very new. My husband and I just moved away from the big city in April. We've settled on 20 acres out here in the country and I love it. My plan for the farm is chickens and goats. Our neighbor (great guy!) has a flock of about 50 chickens and he gave us 4 pullet hens a few days ago.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Four hens.

(3) What breeds do you have?

I don't know. I was planning to buy some Rhode Island Reds but when my neighbor saw our coop, he told us not to buy any. After looking at pictures of chickens, I'm still not sure what I have and my neighbor is no help. He doesn't know.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I used to be a vet tech and I love all animals. I am looking forward to getting to know my girls better. They are SO adorable.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Reading, music, photography, graphic art.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

My husband and I have been married 32 years. He's a welder and I used to be in customer service. Last position was providing tech support for business customers of Spectrum. We have 3 dogs, all rescues: Waffle, a 12 year old Belgian Malinois, Daisy, a 5 year old Rat Terrier and Boudica, a 2 year old red nose Pit Bull. Also one cat, Socrates, a seal point Siamese. Years ago, we used to raise and show St. Bernards. We also were quite the fish hobbyists once upon a time.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I read the book "Backyard Chickens" and found it to be invaluable. I have some questions that were not covered in the book.

Best pic I have been able to get so far!

Attachments

• Resized_20200807_135133.jpeg
    Resized_20200807_135133.jpeg
    728 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom