Hello Chicken Peeps!

When you lock a broody away from her nest, that is usually her reaction. Panic. Eggs can be damaged in the process. She doesn't graft to the eggs so much as the site she was setting in.
I would try to set up a plush broody nest in a dark corner of the coop on the floor, making it as private as possible and put some fake eggs in it. She may settle down on that nest. If she does, and she digs in and gets determined again and keeps going back to the new, secure nest site for at least 2 solid days, I'd give her back her eggs to finish hatching and raising.
Thank you! I was wondering if I could do that. I’m going to watch her today to see what she does. I’m hoping she’ll take up residence in one of the nesting boxes like my BO did, but the coop is way to busy with 11 8 week old Big Red Broilers who would rather hang out in the coop in front of, and in, the nesting boxes rather than run around outside. I won’t be butchering the broilers for another month, so I may just have to wait and see if she’ll go broody again After they’re gone.

I’m hoping she’ll take up residence in one of the nesting boxes like my BO did,
That's not a good place to allow a broody to set.
I'd try the ground nest. Maybe lean a piece of plywood in the corner of the coop, make a nest under it and put fake eggs in there.
Can you move the broilers to a grow out pen?

Time will tell with the eggs, keep us posted!
This morning, Houdini went back to her outdoor nest and is sitting. I put a couple fake eggs in the nest to see what she would do, and she decided to stay. If she stays there overnight, should I give her the eggs back tomorrow to let her hatch them? If I do, I’ll just have to pray the coyotes don’t get her.

That's not a good place to allow a broody to set.
I'd try the ground nest. Maybe lean a piece of plywood in the corner of the coop, make a nest under it and put fake eggs in there.
Can you move the broilers to a grow out pen?
Right now I don’t have another alternative for the broilers and I can‘t get something built quick enough. Houdini went back to the outdoor nest this morning and is sitting on a couple of fake eggs. She won’t stay in the coop. If she’s still on the nest tomorrow, I will put her eggs back (if advisable) and let her hatch them outside and pray that predators don’t get her. She’s well hidden, so hopefully that will help.

Back
Top Bottom