Hello Chicken World

Singing Chickens

Chirping
Mar 6, 2018
Oregon
I am new on this site, although I have read some posts for several years now. I have 3 bantam Silkies and a Sultan. My Sultan is having an emergency if anyone would be so kind to check out "Something in chicken butt." Much appreciated. I am in my 5th year raising chickens. They are more like pets, but they leave me eggs and are as sweet as can be.

G’Day from down under Singing Chickens :frow Welcome!

I hope your girl makes a full recovery from the soft shelled egg; I have a bantam Langshan who tends to have trouble with soft shells when she is moulting but thankfully, she has recovered from each occasion.

I am pleased you have delurked and hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you include your general location on your profile, this will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

G’Day from down under Singing Chickens :frow Welcome!

I hope your girl makes a full recovery from the soft shelled egg; I have a bantam Langshan who tends to have trouble with soft shells when she is moulting but thankfully, she has recovered from each occasion.

I am pleased you have delurked and hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you include your general location on your profile, this will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)
Thank you for all the information. I keep Oyster Shells in a container for them, but they aren't eating as much as they were. Their eggs were really hard shelled and I've noticed they are softer this year. So tonight I mixed up their layer crumbles with the oyster shell hoping they will eat more of it. I will also check into a short term calcium supplement tomorrow.
I've looked at this site for the past 5 years, but I guess I didn't notice the account sign-up. I'll check out and try to update my profile. I am in beautiful Southern Oregon (USA). We have hot summers and sometimes a bit of snow in the winter, but not too bad. During a really hot summer, my little hens stress (especially the Sultan), and I do all I can to keep them cool. I chose singing chickens as my user name, because every night I close up the coop, I sing praise songs to my chickens and they sing back with the sweetest cooing sound. My first two chicks were partridge and buff Silkies (Lucy and Ethyl). The next year I added a gray and a black Silkie (Gracie and Half-pint) along with a white Sultan (Izzy). They definitely are pets. Unfortunately, I lost Ethyl at two years, I'm not sure why, but I am thinking at this point that she was egg bound. Thank you for all of your suggestions.

I brought them all in the house for a Christmas picture in 2014, but they weren't the best posers.

Attachments

• Christmas 2014.jpg
    Christmas 2014.jpg
    657.7 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom