Hello everybody

jnichs426

In the Brooder
Sep 10, 2019
Hi everyone, my name is Josh and I am brand new to raising chickens.

I have a funny story to share with my introduction to chicken keeping

We currently have 5 chicks 4-5 wks old, started off with 2 each RIR and BR, lost one RIR in the first week (spontaneous death in an otherwise seemingly healthy 2 day old chick ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ) Fast forward to a week later, the company I ordered chicks from accidentally sent me someone else's order of 10 more chicks! Had to post them online since I can only keep 6 in town, a local farm took them in and we ended up keeping 2 more from that batch an easter egger and a black copper maran.

I have always been interested in self-sustaining living and chicken-keeping has always felt like a step in the right direction. Was never able to keep any until moving to our first home a year ago, also keeps my two kids busy and involved in raising animals and helping the homestead. Anyway, look forward to learning from the community and hopefully soon enough I can give something back too.

Hi, and Welcome from Southeast Missouri! I think it's great that your family is getting involved in learning a little bit about self sufficiency. Getting closer to how people lived a few generations back is a great way to start. Don't forget to check out the other sister forums listed at the bottom of the page. And have fun with those chickens!

Back
Top Bottom