Hello Everybody!!

jflaca

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 13, 2014
Rome GA
I'm new here at BYC and new to raising backyard chickens. I'm super-excited and have already fallen in love with my little trio. I grew up around chickens as a young girl. My grandmother always had a large flock and my brother raised gamecocks. I am far from a young girl anymore and have only recently (in my fifty-somethingth year) decided to have my own chickens. I am learning daily and I look forward to learning from you all. When I bought my first three chickens, I got a rooster and two hens. The very first day I brought them home I confined them to a coop for the entire day and about 1 hour before dark I let them out (advise from the man I bought them from) I was assured that they would return to the coop but the hens wandered off into the woods. I tried to catch them for three days. On the second day, I found a small wad of feathers. :( On the third day I actually saw a red fox chasing the remaining hen. I scared the fox away and spent the entire day trying to catch the hen to no avail. I alerted all my neighbors that I had hens on the loose and that a fox was after them. But I never saw the hens again. I failed them. I was very sad. :( I named my roo that day, he was "Lonesome George" because his girls were gone. So I kept Lonesome George in the coop during the day, and brought him in the house at night to sleep in a large wire dog crate. I got a friend to help me build a run for him. He was happy to be out of the coop. He was still alone though. So after three weeks, I finally found two "rescue" hens. One was what I believe is a Light Sussex from a petting zoo, and the other I was told is a Yellow Buff. Lonesome George wasn't lonesome any more. So now he is just called George. His ladies are Marilyn and Betty. (after Marilyn Monroe & Betty Page) I saw a fox in the yard again the other day so I went today and bought more fence posts, chicken wire, etc. to reinforce the run. I hope I don't fail these girls and George again. Sooooo....that's why I joined the BYC forum...I have a lot to learn from yall. And I thank you in advance for any advice you offer.

Hello and welcome to BYC!
I would make sure to have a safe place that they can be in during the day... I would get to know your birds before you let them free range. Easier to watch them and call them to you before something bad does happen... Sorry about the fox. I have to keep my rooster and two hens in because we have a previous hunting dog that would not get along with them.
Good luck!
Feel free to ask questions!
-Emma

Thanks Emma...I think my biggest question right now would be...for the roo and the two hens is a 5' wide x 24' long run suitable? I will certainly be expanding as time and $$ allow but for now is that big enough for this trio?

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

So sorry for your losses and troubles! Losing chickens is so hard!
hugs.gif

Be sure to check out these links. They should help.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-predators-pests-how-to-protect-treat-your-flock

That's a generous sized run for the three of them - do you also have a coop. Rule of thumb is 4 sg.feet per bird in the coop, and 10 sg.feet per bird in the outdoor run.

Beware the fox has gotten easy lunch and he will continue to come back trying - unless he finds it is impossible to get to the survivors. Then he will seek your neighbors for easier pickings.

Foxes are very clever and persistent, they can dig under, bite thru flimsy chicken wire, and can also jump high fences. Are you allowed to shoot the fox when he is attacking your flock? That won't end the rest of the foxes but, you will know that one won't be back.

Welcome !!
Sorry to hear about your troubles and glad to hear it didn't put you off and that lonesome George is no longer lonesome :)

We have quite a lot of foxes here in the uk and I have invested in a trap. We use weld mesh rather than chicken wire. It's much more resilient.

Good luck with them - love their names !!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry about your losses. It's always sad whenever we lose some of our flock. You have been given some good advice by the other BYC members. Shabana is absolutely correct about chicken wire. There are just too many predators that can either tear through it or pass through the openings in the mesh. Instead, use hardware cloth, which has saved many chicken owners a lot of tears. It's more expensive that chicken wire, but it's cheaper than replacing your flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry for your losses, good luck with the rest of the flock.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So sorry for your losses.
hugs.gif
It is never easy to lose them. Make sure to build your coop and run like fort knox. Chicken wire is very flimsy so always use hardware cloth on all external parts of the coop and run.

Good luck and I hope you can keep your flock safe. :)

Back
Top Bottom