Hello everyone from SoCal

Glad to meet you. Lots of members here have dogs as well as birds, including me. Some dogs are better about the birds than others, but most can learn. (depends on the prey drive and trainability). In fact, some folks get livestock guard dogs or train their existing dogs to guard their flocks! Here is an article about training your dogs, which may help settle your husband's nerves.

That said, at this point, one of my dogs is pretty good about not barking, but my shih tzu *a notably stubborn breed* just cannot resist barking at my quail! So she is in the house except on leash. I hope we will get there someday!

And here are 2 conversations from forums about training dogs to be with chickens 1 and 2.

Best wishes and welcome to BYC! You already got some great advice.

Glad to meet you. Lots of members here have dogs as well as birds, including me. Some dogs are better about the birds than others, but most can learn. (depends on the prey drive and trainability). In fact, some folks get livestock guard dogs or train their existing dogs to guard their flocks! Here is an article about training your dogs, which may help settle your husband's nerves.

That said, at this point, one of my dogs is pretty good about not barking, but my shih tzu *a notably stubborn breed* just cannot resist barking at my quail! So she is in the house except on leash. I hope we will get there someday!

And here are 2 conversations from forums about training dogs to be with chickens 1 and 2.

Best wishes and welcome to BYC! You already got some great advice.
Thank you so much, this is very helpful. Our aussie will want to herd them together, I sure. Our German shepherd, on the other hand, has a pretty health prey drive. . Our neighbor's turkey flew over the wall into our backyard. If we were not home at the time he would have had turkey for dinner. Also, a few opossum that have crossed the wall that didn't make it. I will check out the 2 forums you suggested. 😀

Back
Top Bottom