hello everyone. i am new to all of this including the chickens.

Hmmmmm - 3 roosters and 1 hen, boy, that sounds familiar!!!
It's exactly what I started out with, when I first got chickens:).
You will either have to get 20 more hens (at least 7 per roo), or re-home 2 of your roosters. And even then, you'll probably need a few more hens, to keep him happy, and to keep some feathers on your little hen's back:).
When I was in that same predicament, I ended up rehoming 2 of my roosters (we cried all the way to their new home, and then back), and then getting 5 more hens.
We now have a happy, healthy backyard flock of seven, and all our friends and neighbors get yummy, free-range eggs.
Enjoy! Chickens are awesome!!!

i'm really hoping i don't have to rehome any of them. i have all of the chicks. hopefully most of them will be hens. however, i intend to rehome some of them. i will keep a couple of the bantams and all of the EE's, but the rest will go.

aye, welcome, i am new here myself.

i agree with some of the posters above. you'll need to get rid of some of the roosters.
they would get agressive and because there is competition in mating (as opposed to if there were just one rooster) they are not as gentle on the hens. as a result a lot of their back feathers get removed and then they start getting very sore skin and some bad cuts from the nails of the roosters. so it starts hurting the hens to mate. it isn't nice at all.

i ended up with the same problem with black giants, araucanas, plymouth rocks and a few other breeds.

hope you can find good spots for them.

Quote:
Hello,
welcome-byc.gif
from South Carolina!

Yes, I do love roos! But not as much as I love rehoming roos!!
lau.gif

well, now, i have a very serious question for everybody. i posted a picture of my chickens in one of my messages yestrday. the black one is my hen. i'm having a problem with her. she's about 11 to 14 weeks old. so, she's not ready to lay yet. anyway, she's walking funny (and not ha..ha.. funny, either). i think that she may have just hurt herself, but i'm not sure. i noticed it yesterday morning. she lays around alot, and when she actually walks, she's not walking right. any suggestions as to what i should do???? anybody???? i really don't want to put her down.

lovinmychickens:

i have seen that once before. what happened was that a pretty big rooster was trying to mate or fumbling around in the coop and dislocated the thigh of the hen. i separated her. however, sad news is that i did have to put her down.
other birds ruslting in the coop for feed or matings gone wrong can cause this. even though she is young, i have seen roosters jump on top of hens, they don't actually mate and can damage the hen.
sorry i don't have a better home solution.

Back
Top Bottom