Hello everyone!! NWI here

LocosHuevos

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2016
Michigan City,IN
Hello and good day to everyone from our family to yours. My name is Tiffany. I'm a mother of 2 children (girl 7 yrs & boy 17mo old), dog owner (Ruby-Black lab/PitBull mix), cat owner (LaLa -unsure of breed but has 6 toes on each front paw
1f60f.png
, pretty neat), homemaker & now egg rancher.
Sorry for the late introduction, just been busy getting my family's egg ranch going
1f601.png
. Super excited about it too. When we first started off three years ago, that Winter took out our entire flock of 9 except for 2 hens (Toast-Leghorn & Comet-Black Sexlink), which we still currently have. Of course I was completely bummed but determined to have a family egg ranch. So when April came of last year, we bought 6 more chickens (King-Americana rooster, WhoWho & Skitch-Americana hens, Fluff & Puff-Buff Brahma hens, and Star-Black Sexlink hen), which we currently have as well. So as the year went on into Winter, I had my fingers crossed that we wouldn't lose any of the new flock or even what's left of the last one. Well Winter came and we didn't lose any
1f601.png
. I was so thrilled & tickled, because that meant more than just 2 eggs a day. So my birthday is in March and my Mom asked me what I wanted this year for my birthday. My reply was baby ducks (odd gift I guess for someone to ask for right LOL). My Mom laughed and said okay with a smile, we will get them this weekend. Birthday gift was 7 Peking ducklings, which turned out to be (Ace,Duke,&Loui-drakes and Lily, Daziy, Suzie & Lucy-hens). Since my birthday gifts, I have slowly been building up my ranch
1f601.png
. I also have bought 4 more Americana hens, Silver Laced Wyandotte hen, 2 Buff Orpington hens, 2 ISA hens, 5 Snowy ducklings(sexes unknown) 2 Peking drakes (rehomed to us), 1 Americana rooster (rehomed to us), 1 Moskovery duck-drake and 4 Swedish ducks (1-drake&3hens rehomed to us). All of our birds are free range on 3+ acres of land, but do have access to coops (chicken & duck), which is in a pinned on area right behind our house and get locked in at night til morning. They also have access to a manmade pond done mostly by my wonderful husband with a little help from myself
1f60a.png
. It's two ponds at opposite ends that are connected by a channel (which the ducks totally love) and has a waterfall in one of the ponds. Eventually we will plant flowers by the pond area, mostly by the waterfall but it's a working progress for sure. I will have to take pictures and share with everyone our family's ranch. I'm not sure if I'm leaving anything out.
Well I hope everyone has a wonderful & safe day.
-Tiffany
God Bless
1f64f.png

Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Great to have you aboard. Wow! Sounds like you have a lot going on with your ducks and chickens! You'll find a lot of friends on BYC. Be sure and check out the Indiana thread in this link https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you Best wishes!

Hello redsoxs and thank you. You are surely right about a lot going on but it's a totally new fun experience for our family. My daughter gets a kick every time there's eggs in the coops. Once in a while she's tickled pink when she finds them in the yard, makes her think of Easter. I'll be happy to check out the Indiana link. Can't wait to make friends
1f601.png
. Have a wonderful / safe night.
God Bless
1f64f.png

Great to meet you Tiffany. I really enjoyed your introduction. You are a very hard worker and I am very glad things are turning out so well for you now.

Wish some day we could see photos of your pond with channel. No wonder the ducks love it.

You may also want to post on the "Duck thread." just put that in the search box and it will come up.

Great to meet you Tiffany. I really enjoyed your introduction. You are a very hard worker and I am very glad things are turning out so well for you now.

Wish some day we could see photos of your pond with channel. No wonder the ducks love it.

You may also want to post on the "Duck thread." just put that in the search box and it will come up.

Nice to meet you as well drumstick diva. Pleased to hear you enjoyed my introduction
1f60a.png
. Very hard work indeed but all in all it's totally worth every sweat drop in the end LOL. My babies are very happy. When I do treat time, everyone comes running (pullets, hens, roosters & ducks). It's so neat & awesome! No one fights over treats & they all eat straight out of my hand, except for the new ducks, working on it though
1f601.png
I was just going through my husband's photos and I did come across photos of the channel and second part of pond when it was almost done, just had to finish digging rest of channel out to connect the two & add the water.
At first the ducks were a little afraid to swim thru but it took my lead girl (Lily, Peking) to be the brave one. Once she was swimming thru, she started quacking away and shaking her tail feathers, then once that was done everyone else followed. Now there's no fear from no one not even the new comers. Which the new comers did not touch the pond for a full day when they came to their new forever home besides taking drinks, but that's all changed
1f60a.png
I will take pictures tomorrow of everything.
I'll have to also check out the duck thread too
1f60a.png
Have a wonderful night.
God Bless
1f64f.png

:welcome

I guess I'm a kid at heart, I still get excited to gather eggs! 

LOL. You are not alone there. I look forward to them everyday. I was totally tickled pink when I got my very first duck egg ever. To be honest, before that day I've never seen one. I had a little bummed day on collecting today. Ruby, my Black lab/PitBull mix, decided she wanted to collect eggs today as well
1f605.png
. Sadly though, it was not a successful collection, she ate 8 eggs
1f612.png
. Which now I have to either collect before she goes outside or put some type of gate up to stop her but not my flock.
God Bless
1f64f.png

Back
Top Bottom