Hello everyone, so glad I found BYC

flowerchic

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 13, 2012
Dripping Springs, Texas
I am yet another newbie at chicken wrangling. I went to my local Tractor Supply to get some fencing for my garden and low-and-behold came home with 6 baby chicks....funny how that happened!! They are the cutest little poopers ever.

This funny event happened 3 weeks and 2 days ago and I just want to say without this website I would have kept my vet on his toes over the last three weeks. He should pay you a "She didn't call me once fee". I've learned allot from BYC.

During my giddiness I bought (according to my receipt) 3 assorted bantams, 1 Pullet, 1 Red Pullet and a TSC Specialty St. Run.
Alright, with that said, I know the 3 bantams but cannot remember which was which of the other 3...I know I feel pretty silly saying - yes, I purchased and have only a clue. I thought pullets were chicks that reached egg laying age, not day old chicks? so I'm baffled by the description from TS and I let them know it to their dismay.

I think I have a Rhode Island Red and possibly a New Hampshire from what pictures of baby chicks and descriptions I can find. The last one was yellow now feathering in white but she is 3 to 4 times bigger then any of the other chicks. She does not roost like all the others she just lays around and sleeps when not eating and pooping. She seems to be feathering in at the rate as the others but she is huge!!! Does anyone have any thoughts on why she is sooo much bigger then the others..breed maybe, age, a rooster!!??? Or she's just a big 'un. Doesn't straight run mean they haven't been sexed yet? baffled
he.gif

Thanks
C

Welcome to byc! and yes straight run means they have not been sexed.There is so much useful info on here and if you ask a question people are so helpful on here! Maybe you got a meat chicken (broiler) those ones just eat and eat the grow to full size in about 8-9 weeks correct me if i am wrong as i have none of these!

Last edited:
Good morning from Texas, and Thank you for the wonderful welcome and responses. I have to say I'm very excited about joining BYC my new adventures of raising chickens. We moved out to the country a year ago and I have been bugging my husband, he said in time. Well then we went to TSC and when he saw the chicks, he new he was doomed - the time had come!

I called TSC again, they think my BIG girl might be a Cornish Rock, so my question is do Cornish Rocks get bigger faster then regular chicks?
TSC said that they really didn't know what they were sent either. The signs just read Red Pullet, Pullet, St Run, no definite name of the breeds. I know they didn't have the Orpingtons or Doms that I really wanted. But I love my mix just the same.

I have been trying to read as much on this site as possible and have found the grit section, but I am still a little foggy. Last week I started taking my chicks out doors for a couple of hours a day, only when warm enough and not windy. During our outings they have found some worms (the worms are eating my garden at break neck speed) etc, so do I need to be adding grit at this point. If not, when?? They are eating Dumor Chick starter and oatmeal off my fingers that I have been using to get them used to me handling them. They were not interested in the yogurt so I ate it. Waste not want not...

They are indoors, husband still building official coop.
And do I have this right - only give them oyster shell when they start laying eggs right???

Time for brooder clean out and some more coffee. Once again, thank you for the welcome and sharing your knowledge, it is much appreciated.
P.S. Do you have a chicken convention or any gatherings of chicken people??
C

Back
Top Bottom