Hello, Everyone!

Gamma_French

In the Brooder
Jul 22, 2017
simsboro, LA
Hello everyone! I thought we would join this community since we have learned a lot reading the posts.

We bought 8 chicks in late February. Built a small 3'x3' coop for indoors until the weather allowed us to build a larger one outside. a month or so later, we were set up and the chicks pretty much outgrew the small indoor coop, so we transferred them outside.

when we bought them, we selected 6 pullets (production reds), 1 Rhode Island Red, and one Plymouth Rock. The lady in the store attempted to select us a male by holding one by the feet, (if it just hangs, it's a male) selecting us the Rhode Island Red as a male, but turns out that one became a hen and the Plymouth Rock grew up into a rooster. thus, we have one rooster and 7 hens, which is just what we wanted anyway.

In Mid July they started laying! We would leave the eggs in the nests for the day, to get the others to lay as well. We started having 5 of them laying, then yesterday, 6 for the first time. During this time we've had a couple of jelly eggs, a couple of extra-large ones, but the rest have been small to medium.

Well that's our story. So far raising chickens has been easier than I would have thought, but we're just getting started.

Gamma

Hello I am glad that you joined this community....I love my chickens and had them for years....They are easy and joyful....

Hi :welcome Gamma

Glad you could join us here! Great intro and it's been nice reading more about you. Congratulations on those eggs :clap It's always so exciting finding those treasures in the nest box!

Good luck for the future and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

Hi there!
Welcome to BYC.
This video should help you find your way around the site better, enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom