Hello Everyone!

TundraGhost

Chirping
Jul 2, 2021
Hello! I joined a while ago but I was too shy to make an introduction lol. My name is Leah, and I'm very new to chicken keeping and only got my first 6 (unplanned) chicks on May 28th, 2021. We got two more on June 29th so they're about 5 weeks apart. I'll go ahead and answer the newbie questions now I guess!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Answered that up in the first paragraph!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I have 8 right now, 2 roosters and 6 hens. We're trying to figure out what to do with the roo's

(3) What breeds do you have?
The first 6 chickens we got were crosses between Polish and red sex-links I believe. They were given to us randomly by a neighbor who heard we were considering and preparing to get chickens. They were a surprise bunch. The other two came later, one is a White Leghorn and the other is a Rhode Island Red.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I love how friendly they are with me, seeing them run to see me when I walk across the yard. Sometimes they sit on my shoulder or back while I do little chicken chores, or on my lap when I'm sitting with them. It's very relaxing listening to their little sounds!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I like digital drawing, and hope to use it to make some sort of profit one day soon. I typically draw cartoon animals or sometimes characters that I make up. I also play a fair share of video games like Pokemon, Stardew Valley, and Monster Hunter.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
Most of our animals are rescues or were given to us for free because the owner didn't want them or couldn't take care of them. Each of them has their own little interesting story. We have 3 dogs, Boo, and Belle are Terriers, and Chico is a Chihuahua. 2 cats, Turbo and Notch who grew up together, and a ferret named Lilly.

I recently graduated college in Video Game Art and Design, though I feel I have a long way to go before I make anything I'm really proud of, or make a job out of it for that matter.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?
Many of my chicken-research-related questions when we were preparing to get them directed me here, and I kept the site in mind in case I had any specific questions one day and needed answers!

Hello, Leah, and a belated welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Some here will spit their coffee on their screens when they read that I, too, was shy when I first joined. Now they wish they could shut me up! You'll find the place here where you are comfortable and enjoy yourself!

I was very shy when I joined BYC and knew almost nothing about using a computer. Just how to post and delete. You can see I have lost the shyness. I love it here, so many friends to make and keep.

sourland who just posted before me and Alaskan, were the first two BYC friends I made and still are:hugs

Back
Top Bottom