hello everyone

Urbanchickenranchers

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
Rochester, MN
My wife and I have been thinking about raising chickens for the last six months. We finally took the step about 3 weeks ago when we bought 3 rhode island reds. We are in the process of building the coop and will post pics when I have reached the magic number of posts. So far I have only spent $6...it is great to have friends who have donated materials.

We are from Rochester MN and only allowed 3 hens (no roosters). Our permitt was just approved and the whole family was excitied!

One question...although I will do some searching...I have a leftover vent when our house was reroofed...will this be enough or should I have more vents? The coop will be insulated. Thanx everyone!

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Florida! Sorry, can't help with the ventilation question, but i'm sure someone will be able to help! You've probably already seen the coop forum in the main index, you can post your question there, too! Good luck!

Welcome from the other coast. What fun you will have! We live in a very temperate climate so have lots of ventilation. You need someone in your area to answer your question but just one vent does not seem enough for your climate year-around. Best of luck and
welcome-byc.gif

Thanx everyone for the warm welcome! Aside from raising 3 hens we also raise 4 boys ages 2 to 12. We have running joke now that my wife finally got her girls!
lol.png

Cambriagardner (California) - is your avatar your coop? Wow very impressive. That is sort of the look we are going for!

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
and enjoy your membership.

I have been raising birds for some twenty years and just joined in May when I ran into BYC by accident
caf.gif

There is NOT a day that goes buy that I do not learn something from the folks here. As my Grandfather said back in the 50's "When a day goes by and you don't learn something you are dead".

There is ALWAYS something...new coop ideas. new run ideas, a different way to incubate, different kinds of littler and food, and the best part is that there are more varied opinions that you can shake a stick at.

Again WELCOME, and the BEST OF LUCK with your birds.

Back
Top Bottom