Hello Everyone

cpaltman

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 21, 2014
Purcellville, VA
We've looked at the BYC site many times while we've constructed our coop and built our flock. We should've joined long ago!

We've got almost thirty chickens now; orpingtons, wellsummers, leghorns, speckled Sussexs, wyandottes, red stars, delawares, and some others. We have one small wellsummer rooster who is not old enough to crow yet but is trying (pathetically) and we're excited to see how he and the hens grow.

We really enjoy our chickens and we're looking forward to talking with other chicken owners.

We've looked at the BYC site many times while we've constructed our coop and built our flock. We should've joined long ago!

We've got almost thirty chickens now; orpingtons, wellsummers, leghorns, speckled Sussexs, wyandottes, red stars, delawares, and some others. We have one small wellsummer rooster who is not old enough to crow yet but is trying (pathetically) and we're excited to see how he and the hens grow.

We really enjoy our chickens and we're looking forward to talking with other chicken owners.

That is a very beautiful chicken coop. How many chickens do you have of each breed? Where did you get your chickens? Did you get them all at the same place and at the same time? What are your plans at this moment? (I know my plans constantly change.) Do you have any cross breeding ambitions? Are these simply being kept for eggs? Are all of the chickens the same age? I'm guessing by the effort/cost of your chicken coop and the breeds you have that none of these are for meat. I'm excited for you. I think you have found a rewarding past time. This is my second time owning chickens. The last time was about 10 years ago. I just got my chickens this summer. I might not find it as rewarding when the winter chicken chores come around but for now they make me happy as ever. Welcome my chicken friend.

Hi,

A friend of mine needed someone to watch her chickens when she went on vacation. I setup a hasty coop and we took care of those ten for about three weeks. She lets us keep one gold wyandotte and a barred rock. After that we began looking for more. We've gotten them a little at a time, the first few were two red stars, two delawares. We got them as pullets along with a brown leghorn and a black something or other. The next batch was two white leghorns, a buff orpington and two wyandottes (one silver and one gold laced). All of these were pullets. Next we got four hens, two speckled Sussex, one americauna and one buff orpington. At that point I fixed up the coop to accommodate the bigger flock. My wife wanted something special so we bought a kit and built the schoolhouse coop. It was supposed to be a playhouse for kids but it makes a really good hen house. We fenced everything in and landscaped a little and the hens all seem to be very happy. I should add that the idea for the schoolhouse coop was not mine. Someone on this site did it and we liked it so much that we copied it.

We thought we were done an then my friend was forced to find a permanent home for her flock so we took them in. This added eleven more to our flock (six wellsummer pullets and one cockerel, one red star, two buff orpingtons, one cochin, and one brahma(n).

All of the chickens get along well. The little ones are picked on a bit but I'm sure that will change as they get older. The rooster is growing quick and has a totally different personality than the hens (as expected). My kids and I make a point of picking him up every day so he'll grow into a nice rooster who doesn't mind people.

We are keeping the chickens for eggs. We may breed some of the wellsummers in the spring also.

Thanks for being my first reply!

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help.
smile.png

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Good luck with your flock!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sounds like you have a lovely flock! So glad BYC was able to help you out with your birds.

Make yourself at home and if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

Welcome to Backyard chickens. Glad you joined the flock. If you go to "where am I, where are you," in the social forum. you can locate and post on your state thread. It's a great way to meet others in your area for talking chicken, or maybe buying/selling birds without having to ship them.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. You have a lot of good dual purpose breeds. Red Sex Links (Red Stars) are egg laying machines. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom