Hello Fellow Chicken Lovers!

I have had chickens since July 2020. Yeah, I know, COVID chickens. 😞 But I have been wanting them for a long time and doing a lot of research. But oh the things you discover when you finally have them. Thank goodness for forums like this!

I have three feathered ladies. The youngest a gorgeous jubilee Orpington born July 1st and raised with her 4 straight run siblings (unfortunately, 3 were Roosters. One had a congenital defect and passed away, the other two were rehomed). My two ladies that were left were attacked by a hawk last fall. I live in the city and thought they'd be fine in backyard with lots of cover. One passed away and Elsie survived. She was traumatized and lonely. I was able to get two older ladies (that were being culled) to keep her company, a Rhode island red and a Plymouth rock. I love them to death and spend way too much time obsessing over them. ❤

PS the coop and run area are like fort knox. I already had a small run with the coop (they dont tell you how impractical those cutesy little premade coops are... already dreaming of designing my own). The perimeter of the run and coop is hardware cloth, then chicken wire attached to bottom and buried around the perimeter. This coop and run sits inside another fenced area (their daytime run) with a person gate for me to get in and hawk netting over entire area. I obsess over their safety. They get lots of fresh fruit and veggies, and the occasional warm oatmeal, rice and corn, and lots of mealworms (much to my bf horror when he does the ROI for the eggs we get ☺️). They are my pets. If they lay it's a bonus. The baby did start laying in the middle of winter and is pretty consistent with 4 a week. I am hoping with spring and summer that will really pick up, regardless they will live happy and fulfilling chicken lives with me.❤❤❤ I am completely ok being the crazy chicken lady of my suburban neighborhood.
Can totally sympathize and agree with the cutitsie vs. Practical! Mine looks like fort Knox too
Messenger Kids_creation_1614459295668.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom