Hello Fellow Chicken People!

UrbanChicken13

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 17, 2014
Hello all! My name is Katelyn and I live a bit North of Houston Texas; in Conroe. My husband and I currently have a flock of 11 various hens.

We currently have 6 that are about 6 months old have have finally started to lay...
1 Rhode Island Red
1 Dark Cornish Game Hen
1 New Hampshire Red
1 Leghorn
1 Black Silkie
1 Tan Silkie

We also have at about 10 weeks old
2 Color Splash Silkies
1 Tan Silkie
1 White Silkie

And Finally at about 8 weeks old
1 Buff Orphington Hen
1 Buff Orphington Rooster
1 White Silkie

We love our chickens and the New Hampshire Red and the Cornish are actually quite social and love to be held. Our Leghorn does not sleep with our other chickens at night in the coop... we actually don't know where she goes but comes back every morning for feed.

I really look forward to getting to know y'all and hear about all your chickens!

Welcome to BYC, Katelyn. Glad you decided to join our flock. My wife and I were both raised in the great state of Texas, and my sister and brother-in-law lived in Conroe for a number of years. I've had most of the breeds on your list at one time or another and you have a nice mix of breeds. I still have Buff Orpingtons in my flock, and they are wonderful birds; beautiful, hardy, friendly and gentle (my granddaughter has made lap pets of them), and good layers of large, brown eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Hi :welcome Glad you joined the flock. Sound like you have a lovely flock with plenty of variety.be sure to ask lots of questions everyone very friendly and informative. Have a look by the learning centre it full of useful info :frow

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sounds like you are putting together a nice little flock! Leghorns are independent birds aren't they. They do like to sleep high up, so she could be in a tree or up in the rafters of a building somewhere.
If you haven't seen it, there is a nice article in the Learning Center on combining flocks when your younger birds are old enough, the second half of the article gives suggestions on that https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Thanks Y'all! We started our flock in March with chicks from Tractor Supply so we had a bit of a variety. We live in the city limits in a neighborhood so we really lucked out and didn't have any roosters. We started to buy silkie eggs from a woman near us and love how fluffy they are. Hoping one of them turns out to be a frizzle or sizzle.

You have quite a nice assortment of breeds. You should make every effort to get your leghorn to go to the coop at night. Maybe offer her treats at first to coax her inside and then lock the door. Chickens do not move in the dark, so they are 'sitting ducks." in a tree where owls and raccoons can find them. Please visit the Learning Center & then the forums.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Silkies are great birds, generally excellent broody mamas, and a favorite of children. Please check out the "Silkie thread," loads of pictures and advice on the breed. I think you'll love it.

Something else just occurred to me - does your leghorn only show up in the morning for food? If she disappears for most of the day and night maybe she has a nest hidden somewhere. Is there any chance she could be broody?

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

It sounds like you have a nice varied flock! Good luck with them!

Back
Top Bottom