hello fellow chix

new.w.chix

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
I am new to the chix world. I am building my coop today and have a questions hopefully someone can answer. If I let the chickens run about in the backyard while I am around, will they run away? Do I need to always have them in their coop?

Chickens will stay within distance of their coop, its their home and they know it, they dont want to run away. They arent as wild as other birds. However, i wouldnt let young ones out. You should wait until they are old enough to be outside the coop.

welcome-byc.gif
!! They will wander until they know where their home is. We used bread to call them and get them to stay in the yard. It works great as a treat and once they know what the bread bag means, they'll come running when they see and hear it.

Also want to mention that my coop is in my garage and I normally put the light on in the evenings. One night I didn't, figuring they would go back in at dark like they always do but they didn't. Once it got dark and they couldn't see their way, they spent the night outside. Maybe if the coop is in the yard they'll go right in at night.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom