Hello Friendly Chicken Folks!

Red Star

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 4, 2007
I am new here, this is my first post.

In two weeks I'll be moving to my new house, where the owners are leaving me 6 laying hens and a rooster! I am very excite, but I have never had chickens or even been around chickens before!

Also, based on the info she gave me, I'm not going to get enough eggs from these hens to support my egg habit, so I ordered 15 chicks from a hatchery!

So I have been reading here and learning a lot about how to care for my new chicks when they come.

Unfortunately the ship date is a wednesday and the day they'll arrive is friday - Friday is the day we actually close on our new house, and it is an "out of town" type thing. So, the bottom line is that I don't think I can be home the day that they're coming in!

I can arrange for them to be picked up from the post office, but I won't be back home till the evening.

My Question:

If they are shipped on Wednesday (hatch day) and arrive on Friday, are they ok until Friday evening?

Thank you so much, I'll definitely be back here for more help as my chicks arrive!

Is there a way you might call the hatchery and delay the shipment for a week? That will give you time to get moved in and get the brooder set up before they arrive. Most hatcherys will work with you on this. You do realise they can not go in with the older chickens....right?
smile.png

Thank you, Deb.

Yes, I could delay the shipment, but I am kinda leaning against it for a couple reasons.

First, I told my daughter that we would be able to have new chicks BEFORE we got to our new house. This is a powerful reason for me! I didn't know that the hatchery ship date would be later like that. When I placed the order I thought we'd have them for a few days before the close date. (duh, I should have known they wouldn't be able to just ship them as soon as I called!)

Second, We are in no hurry to get ourselves moved - we plan on taking our time, not rushing out with all our stuff on the truck the day after closing or anything. Actually the owners won't even be out for several (up to five) days after closing. So I have no "moving pressure." I have been packing for weeks and am pretty ready anyway.

Third, The current owners are leaving me their Deluxe homemade brooder w/ all the equipment. It is very large and all set up in their garage. So, I have a small set-up here and we can easily transfer them to the new brooder upon arrival.

All that being said, If I am jeapordizing the life of my chicks by waiting until Friday evening, I am going to try to postpone it.

Does that make any sense?

they can live off of their yolks for 3 days. i'm amazed they're shipping on a wednesday and not on a tuesday.

they may be a little weak but they should be fine. you're only worry is that they may get cold but then they've been weathering the weather for 2 days prior, i'm sure they'll be okay.

you may lose a couple but i always figure that as par for the course.

I can arrange for them to be picked up from the post office

Perhaps the person picking them up could, one by one, give them a drink of water. The biggest concern is water. I don't know where you are or where they are coming from, but around here it's been nearly 90* so it would be good for them to get water asap.​

Last edited:
It's always best to pick them up asap. They will need water, even sugar water is best to jump start their little systems from travel lag. Depending on the temperatures is a key factor, dehydration etc. I know from my experience, mine came in on a Sunday morning. It was only by the graciousness of the local postmaster that they even called me or that they were even in the post office on a Sunday to receive them. I would make it a point to get them asap. After all, they will be waiting in that little box scared and wanting to see their new Mommy and Daddy pop the top and welcome them home. I'm an old softie... can't stand the thought of babes being uncomfortable.

You really should pick them up asap. And definitely, DEFINITELY, make sure that you, or whoever, dips their beaks in water and preferably, has time to watch them for at least the first hour to assess their condition. Weak chicks may need separating so as not to get trampled, until they regain some strength. Shipping is hard on the little guys. Please don't leave them at the post office any longer than you absolutely have to.

Could you possibly get somebody (a friend, or realative) to pick them up for you. And then take them to your house, and give each one of them a drink, turn on your heating lamp, and put them in there and leave. Perhaps pay somebody you trust a small amout, so you can make sure that they are ok?.

Thank you all for your input, I think I am so excited about my new chickens that I can hardly think straight about anything!

Well, it turns out that my very kind and gentle mom said that she would be happy to take care of my chickens as soon as they come in from the Post Office! She will come to the house and get them all set for me. She has never done anything with chickens before, but she is excited, too.

Mom to the rescue!

Back
Top Bottom