1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Hello Friends of a Feather

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ramzroost, Nov 20, 2012.

1. ramzroost

ramzroost In the Brooder

Nov 19, 2012
    North Carolina
    I have been hanging out on BYC for months as I began my adventure in raising Chickens. Here's A little background on how it all came to be. I am a happily married with two sons. i am also a school teacher. this spring my class was doing an embryology unit where we hatched quail through our local 4-H program. In addition to the incubator with quail eggs, I had an incubatior of a friend in my classroom. This incubator held a collection of "mystery eggs" , gathered and donated to my classroom for this exciting experience for my students. The catch was they needed a home after they hatched. Of course after taking care of the eggs and being the chick in charge, I fell in love with them and had trouble letting them go. My husband and I had been pondering having a small backyard flock in our future but had definately not this spring. I convinced my husband to let us keep some of them, mainly the ones that we had named already. [​IMG]The others went back to their repective owners. So this spring we decided to build a coop to save a little money. LOL! Um Well, according to my folks we have a chicken condo. We built a 6 by 8 shed which could be "used down the road just in case the chicken adventure didnt go as planned".We also built a very large run in addition to plenty of land to roam around on. Thanks to BYC for all of the helpful advice over the past few months. [​IMG]Our chicks loved their new home. At the time we had 3 Black Copper marans, 2 of which are hens and one of which is a roo. We also have a Poland Rooster and what we think to be a buff orpington hen. We were also given a brahma hen that is 4 weeks older than the ones we hatched. Well that was in May and June. As the chicks grew we discovered that we had 2 roos and 4 hens. Yes we know that was not a good ratio. So this fall weacquired an additional 9 pullets, 4 of them our Americauna and the other 5 are Black Austrolorp. The chicks have been seperarted from the older chickens until today. I hope my idea works. I took the large dog kennel crate that the now 6 week old chicks have been staying in and placed it in the chicken coop. I am hoping that the older chickens and the younger ones will become acclaimated to one another without the larger chickens attacking the smaller ones. Eventually I plan to let them out on a day when I can watch them a little closer and after they get a little larger. I am hopeful that it will work but could be totatlly wrong, at which time I will go to plan B. As for the chicken adventure, we are now going on the end of 6 months with chickens in the family, we started gathering our first eggs this past month, we have established that I am in charge (although happy thinks he is some days), and we are all getting along well. [​IMG] I can't wait until spring! I will have eggs coming out of my ears!!!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Crowing Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

3. liz9910

liz9910 Crowing

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California!

4. weimarmama

weimarmama Crowing

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Sounds like you have a beautiful flock :thumbsup

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Crowing

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, ramzroost, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community! I think more than a few people have gotten into chickens in a way similar to yours. I wish you all the best!

7. ramzroost

ramzroost In the Brooder

Nov 19, 2012
    North Carolina
    Thank you all for the welcome! Preparing for and raising chickens has been a daily adventure but I am loving it so far. Now that we are getting eggs here and there it just makes the experience that much sweeter. again thank you for the welcoming words! I look forward to being part of the BYC community!

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Crowing

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by