Hello from 7600 ft. in Colorado

Coloradosuzie

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2018
Hi from southern Colorado. I live at 7600 ft. and will not be seeing warm spring weather until the middle of May. We started with chickens 2 years ago when we bought some 2 year old hens from a friend of friend; they were a mixture of RIRs and Americanas (sp?). We added 6 gold sex-linked pullets last year from an Amish auction. Through attrition, we are now at 13 hens. The main reason we have chickens is for the eggs. I've been "spying" on BYC off and on for awhile for help when we've had a sick hen, but decided to join so I can post questions. Obviously our older hens' production has severely declined so I'm going to replace them this spring and have some questions regarding this which I'll post in a different thread.

My husband and I are both retired. We both enjoy trail riding - me on my horse and my husband either on his horse or molly mule- and hiking. We have a hobby greenhouse in which I grow cucumbers, tomatoes, and peppers - jalapeno and bells. I also grow a few things outside which can produce in a cooler 90 day season.

Other than the hens, we have 2 horses, 2 mules, 2 donkeys (for packing), 5 cows (the only remaining ones from our 35 cow herd), 1 diabetic dog and 2 cats.

So glad to be a part of this group.

Welcome! Join us over on the Colorado thread. Just jump to the last page, leave a comment, make sure your BYC settings will give you alerts when people post there, and check in from time to time.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/colorado.68894/

PS I am jealous of your green house. Growing anything at altitude without one is a serious challenge.

G’Day from down under Coloradosuzie :frow Welcome!

I am pleased you delurked and hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock or other critters, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Back
Top Bottom