Hello from a long time lurker!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Gilded Feather, May 21, 2019.

1. Gilded Feather

Gilded Feather Chirping

May 21, 2019
    KY-WV line
    Hello everyone!

Like my thread title says, I am a long time lurker on these boards and have finally decided to take the plunge and join the fun.

I’m not new to owning chickens but would say I’m only an intermediate owner, although I am learning rather quickly thanks to all of your wonderful advice and expertise.

At the moment I currently have 4 Rhode Island Reds and 5 black sex link pullets. As for the RIRs I’m only positive that 1 of them is a pullet. The other 3 have me still somewhat guessing although I am desperately hoping my favorite of the bunch can keep ‘her’ Gone with the Wind inspired moniker, Scarlett.

Now however in another day or two I will become mommy once more to 16 breeder/show quality silkie chicks. As of now I am anxiously awaiting their arrival and hope to hear from the post office soon! This is what has finally convinced me to come forward and join your ranks. I would love to share my experience with them and their progress with all of you. What better place to rant and rave about my babies than right here, where we all love the same thing: CHICKENS! I absolutely can’t wait!

2. :jumpy:jumpyCHICKENS!!!!:jumpy:jumpy

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens. You may want to post also on the "Silkie thread."

You can also post photos at "what breed or gender is this." Silkies are very difficult to sex before 4-5 mos. of age and sometimes not till they lay or crow.

4. Gilded Feather

Gilded Feather Chirping

May 21, 2019
    KY-WV line
    Ugh! I know it’s going to kill me having to wait that long to find out who’s a boy and who’s a girl. But, I guess that’s all part of the fun. And thank you for the suggestion about posting in the silkie thread! I will definitely look into it!

5. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! We're glad you decided to join our wonderful community! :welcome

6. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens 16 little aliens huh I have 4 I only
    have mine to brood eggs and peeps

7. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

Hello, and welcome! Good luck with your flock, and with the new silkies that you will be getting! I got some young silkie's too, but I will be keeping them away from my larger sized flock. Those silkies are small! ;)

8. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
  9. ClucksAndCombs

ClucksAndCombs Free Ranging

Apr 19, 2018
    New England
    Welcome to BYC!:frow

Feel free to ask questions, there are so many wonderful and knowledgeable people who will answer them :)

Good luck with your flock!

10. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    Congratulations on the coming silkie chicks! Please post pictures when you get them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: