Hello from a new member- Matt Harrison

MattHarrison

In the Brooder
Jul 3, 2020
Greetings from a new member living in North Carolina!

A bit about myself..

I moved to the United states at the age of 35 approximately 10 years ago. I lived in a very compact City in England ( Leicester) and moved to a house in the country and just fell in love with chickens instantly- my wife’s family had some. I’ll never get bored of collecting eggs in the morning.

Fast forward 10 years and i have two boys who love the chickens we now keep ( buff orpingtons) and a rooster i havnt yet identified ( thanks Murray McMurray!).

I joined up to learn what i can, and just be part of a community that talked about chickens.

What have i learned so far?

Well, Rhode Island Red roosters are NOT child friendly. lol. we had some RIR hens and got a rooster so the kids could experience the egg hatching, ect and not just think chicks arrived in a box! had to sell them all when i lost my my job a couple years back and they stopped producing eggs.. Thought i’d starts again with orpingtons.

Like an expectant daddy, my girls are about to start laying eggs any day now!

This is Jacob holding one of our Rhode island Reds! ( actually we also had some NH reds so it might have been one of those too..)

Attachments

• 6C387BFB-0399-439B-A7B2-69DB4E1787EE.jpeg
    6C387BFB-0399-439B-A7B2-69DB4E1787EE.jpeg
    273.2 KB · Views: 2
Welcome! I just joined today as well to learn more. I’ve always heard roosters were mean but I have zero experience with them! Enjoy!

hello ZG and welcome!

With regards to roosters, i think it depends on the breed- some are more aggressive to humans than others. our Buff Orpington rooster hasn’t once tried to attack us... he’ll chatter to himself if we go near his girls but our Rhode Island Red rooster would wake up in the morning, put his war paint on and come hunting..

Back
Top Bottom