Hello from a newbie in Florida

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tonopah, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Tonopah

Tonopah Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2012
    Central Florida
    Hello! I just received 4 pullets last weekend. I'm new to chickens. I've wanted them for years. Mister started building a coop for me last summer and finished it a few weeks ago. After a few false starts we finally got the chickens. All of our girls are crosses - and crossed with who knows what. Two are larger, one of whom definitely has Austrolorp(?) in her. The second larger girl probably has Rhode Island Red. The other two are smaller and I think we'll have to wait to make a guess at their lineage.

We bought them from a young girl who started raising poultry after two duck eggs hatched in her classroom and suddenly the teacher didn't know what to do with them. The girl took the duckings home and a backyard poultry family was born. Our four chickens were hatched by a brooding duck. When they were still tiny there was a rainstorm and the duck tried to teach them how to swim, nearly drowning them. The family took the chicks away from the duck mother and now they've come to live with us. I was only going to get three chickens (we live in a suburban area with very close neighbors) but these four girls have been together all their lives. We couldn't leave one out, so they all came home.

I joined BYC because I know I'm going to need alot of help learning to care appropriately for my chickens. I look forward to learning from you all.

2. pfleming

pfleming Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2012
    Northern MN
    HI HI and WELCOME from Northern Minnesota

3. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

4. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....glad you joined us

5. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

6. FlaRocky

FlaRocky Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi and Welcome from Clermont, in Lake County,Florida. Where are you? You need to join the Florida thread in the Where am I, Where are you? Section of the forum. Lots of great people, with tons of information to help you out.

Maye

7. Tonopah

Tonopah Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2012
    Central Florida
    Thanks, everyone, for the kind welcome. How poitive and fun this forum is! I will certainly go to the Florida threads to introduce myself there, as well. I am thrilled at the information available on this site.

Our girls have grown and changed just in the one week they've been with us. Mister is working on portable, adjustable panels with which to make a large pen. Then the chickens will have a large area in which to forage, stretch, and play and I can wash out the coop and move it to a new area of the garden.

Looking forward to "meeting" you all.

Karen

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by