Hello from a soon-to-be chicken family :)

Alyanna77

Songster
May 28, 2020
Douglasville, GA
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
We've had ducks before, but this will be our first time with chickens. We're supposed to be getting our chicks on June 7th (we're on a waiting list for a local hatchery).

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

None yet, but we're getting 6 soon & I can't wait!

(3) What breeds do you have?

We're planning on a mixed flock of 6 girls: 1 each Golden Comet, Black Star, Barred Rock, & Welsummer, plus 2 Easter Eggers. I'm hoping to have a pretty bunch of eggs & be able to tell our our chickens apart easily in case we run into any health issues.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

Definitely the fresh eggs, but we also tried to pick friendly breeds so they can be more like pets than just farm animals.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I enjoy reading, playing games with the family (board games, card games, video games - we like them all). I'm also learning to crochet.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

There are currently 4 of us, though my daughter just graduated and is planning to move out this summer. My husband & I both work on the computer from home (even before COVID). Our daughter is 18 and a very talented artist. Our son is 9 & into just about anything hands-on - his current favorites are magic tricks, chemistry sets, building stuff, and playing pretty much any game he can get his hands on (the boy has way more patience than me - he even likes Monopoly! LOL).

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I ran across BYC while doing research about chickens before our new little flock arrives, and joined as soon as I saw that there's a forum to join. :)

Back
Top Bottom