Hello from a tiny farm on an icy mountain in norway :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JacquelineJ, Mar 18, 2017.

1. JacquelineJ

JacquelineJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2017
    Telemark Norway
    Hello! I've finally stopped lurking as a guest and joined you group and I'm excited. I wanted to say thank you to all of you. The boards have been SO helpful to me in my quest for information. It seems every worry i have has been had by someone here first - and you all have been able to guide them through it!

I am in SE Norway and am beginning our journey as the next generation of care takers on my other-half's family smallholding. Against all good advice I bought 18 heritage turkey eggs as my very first hatch. (I know now that i should have started with chickens, but i'm here now) Unfortunately, only one person near by had eggs (i got 6 from her 7 month old bird) and the other 12 were shipped 800kms.

The young birds eggs all 6 seemed infertile so got taken out on day 10. Only 6 didn't break in post of the 12. Of those six, two didn't start, and three more perished along the way, the second to last at day 17 :( Eggtopsy seemed to show it was 2 yolks in that egg with very little white remaining. I had been perplexed by the signs of blood clotting / ring AND an undeniabley active chick at the same time ...

Like some others I was told to keep humidity 50% in the first 3 weeks. I noticed however that the eggs where not losing weight / growing bigger air cells and began to worry. At day 16-17 I dropped it to 40-35%. As of last night day 23 my ONE remaining egg has lost 7% of the recommended 12-14%. The veins are strong and when candled i can see a movement similar to breathing..

Now, i am on day 24.. yesterday I let the humidity drop to 20% and it's 37.0-37.4C (my whole incubation has been slightly cool) which i am hoping will be my saving..

I believe the hatch is a bit behind schedule, I plan to have low humidity to help air sack development as long as i can, which i believe is until a pip occurs.. fingers crossed. It's been a very rough journey.

I am hatching in a Memmert Incubation cabinet -- which is a german made incubator for scientific use (normally) It was a gift from my partner, so even though it's not perfect, I have to do my best to make it work!

** I believe i am responsible for the other early deaths - i think i was too rough with the eggs. I'm hoping the next time i hatch i'll have learned enough to get some successful hatches!

in the meantime, i have one lonely egg doing its best to survive my ineptitude!

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] so glad you decided to join us.

Turkeys and Chicken lovers are both welcomed here [​IMG].

I have no experience with hatching, but there are so many members here with vast experience and could give you the advice you need.
    (Likely you have already explored the Learning Center and Forums)

Sorry about the failures, hope the remaining egg hatch is successful.

3. JacquelineJ

JacquelineJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2017
    Telemark Norway
    thanks. me too. but even if not, I have learned a lot already. and there are more eggs being delivered in a week.. :)

4. vachick15

vachick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2015
    The Old Dominion
    Welcome to BYC! I hope you like it here, have fun, and learn as much as you can about chickens!

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under JacquelineJ [​IMG] Welcome!

You might want to try posting on the Incubating & Hatching Forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, JacquelineJ, and [​IMG]! It's great to have you in our flock! Best wishes and happy hatching! [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens Jacqueline.. it is nice to meet you. I think you may get more information from the people on the "Turkey thread." Put 'that' in the search box above and it should come up for you. I have no hatching experience at all so sorry I cannot offer constructive feedback. Sending great hatching vibes to your one & only [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by