1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hello from a welsh girl in Texas!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Welsh Chick, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Welsh Chick

Welsh Chick New Egg

Jan 30, 2009
    Hi there everyone! Have just joined the forum and wanted to say hello. My hubby and I are just about 2 years into our chicken adventure and currently have 6 girls and a boy (Ernie). We started off with two 'hens' purchased from a man on the side of a country road who obviously saw my husband coming. Lucy and Ethel came home and every morning we would run down expectantly to the coop ready to collect our lovely fresh eggs. About 6 months later and no eggs, we were sitting on our deck one morning and heard the dreaded "cock-a-doodle-do". Once the fighting began, we had to send one of the boys off to live at a friend's farm, Ethel became Ernie and we tried again. Last summer we suffered multiple raccoon attacks and lost some very sweet birds before we figured out what was going on, however, fingers crossed, we seem to be on a roll now with our happy, laying hens (and Ernie!). We also have 6 dogs and are looking at branching out into mini goats [​IMG]

2. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Howdy and welcome to the group! Sounds like our start, we lost the first TWO flocks to predators but we've learned now and we're going strong. Watch out, these people will have you hatching eggs and branching out into 50 different chicken breeds. They are bad, bad enabling people! LOL!

3. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Welcome, from a fellow Texan [​IMG] What part of Texas are you in? I'm very new to chickens and the people on this site have been a wealth of information and help. [​IMG]

4. byrandom

byrandom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Terrell, TX
    Watch out! We're taking over. [​IMG]

5. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    [​IMG]

Ethel became Ernie

We had one Easter-egger who was named Penny and became Abe​

6. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh you poor dear, from Wales to Texas?>?>?>?>? OUCH!! Well, I hope it's at least in the hill country! (Yes I've lived there, and all you Texans just HUSH!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] )

Welcome anyway!!! [​IMG] Very pleased to meet you!! [​IMG] and hope you enjoy visiting us here at BYC!!

7. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Hi Welsh Chick,

I m also Welsh. But still in Wales....lol.

Welcome to BYC,

Jena.

8. JustChicky

JustChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2008
    East Texas
    Hi Welsh Chick. [​IMG]

You will love it here! This forum has tons of info (and funny stuff), thanks to it's very friendly members. Have fun.

Do you have pictures of your chickens that you can share?

9. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    [​IMG] Glad to have ya!

10. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG]

Glad to have you here! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by