Hello from Alabama

ALChick256

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2016
Just started my journey with my new chicks! I have had them almost 2 weeks now. I started with 15. We lost one over the weekend :(. But, good news is the other 14 are thriving. Except Lil Miss she has a case of wry neck. We are not giving up on her as she is my favorite so far. She is the only one I can tell who she is lol. She is very spunky, that is why I like her so much. They are starting to show their markings on their little wings. I can not wait to see what they will look like. I have Golden Laced Wyandottes and Silver Laced Wyandottes.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So sorry about the one you lost.
hugs.gif
They don't all make it to adulthood unfortunately. But I am happy the others are doing so well!

Are you giving the wry neck bird extra vitamins? Poly Vi Sol (without the iron)...for adults, 3/10s of a ml 3 times a day along with 50 mcg of Selenium and a Vit E gel cap squeezed onto the tongue. I mix all this together into some gerber baby food and down the throat it goes! For chicks, use a 1/3rd of this recipe. You can use Nutri Drench too...chicks get a couple of drops once a day under the tongue, adult birds with wry neck get 1 ml per every 3 pounds of weight. Those with wry neck respond to vitamins quite well being that vitamin deficiencies are the number one cause of wry neck. Sometimes it is genetic as well. Warmed, chopped hard boiled eggs...EXCELLENT food for birds with vitamin deficiencies. Eggs have all the building blocks of life in them and birds can live exclusively on them for long periods of time. Lots of B vitamins and amino acids in eggs.

Good luck with your flock! Make yourself at home here and we do welcome you to our roost! :)

Last edited:
Wry neck can also be caused by a blow or peck to the head. Some breeds with vaulted skulls are especially at risk since they have soft spots that haven't hardened over.

Hey and
welcome-byc.gif

@ALChick256 I am so happy you joined us here at BYC! I am so sorry for your loss and I hope you and your flock are doing ok about it. If you ever need any support we are available as a family to help you. That aside there is so much here on BYC to do. Since you have just started really raising chicks I will leave the Learning Center link a great place for old and new chicken raisers for all their chicken needs. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center Even our most experienced members need help at some point. Definitely if that wry neck continues to worsen you can post something on out Emergencies and Disease forum so people can help you there https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures If you want and if you have free time our Family Life forum is great for posting pics of your flock https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/40/family-life-stories-pictures-updates I hope you have a great day!
Justin
thumbsup.gif

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Back
Top Bottom