Hello from an New Yorker living in Ohio!

MelSeay14

In the Brooder
Aug 24, 2019
I am new to being a Chicken Mom and they keep me entertained, I tell ya! They come running when I walk outside (looking for food, I am sure) or call to me when they are penned up, pleading to be let out. I was gifted with 6 adults in the Spring and 12 babies that are now in their gangly teenage phases of life. Will be getting tons of eggs any day now, ahhhh! I am getting ready for the Fall and Winter, trying to figure the best way to get them through without going too crazy. I am a single mom who works full time and am always looking for efficient ways to care for the Chickens, getting the things done around the house (Splitting wood, Keeping the Garden, and normal household stuff) without going too crazy.

I am always looking thoughts, advise and encouragement from others when things get too crazy. Thank you for welcoming me to this community.

Hello and welcome to BYC! This is a great place to learn and share your chicken adventures. There should be an abundance of information on winterizing your coop here on this site. Last year was my first with my flock and I found good information and support. The first year is such a learning experience so just remember to enjoy and keep a sense of humor as you go through it.

Thank you! I am working on getting enough feed for the winter without having to have tons of feed bags (heavy walking back to the coop). I am also unsure whether I should use bales of hay for insulation and the pine shavings I am currently using. I am also considering adding to the inside of the coop (15ish X 15ish) so they don't get bored and start pecking each other. It will be a learning process.

coffee hen.gif

Greetings MelSeay14, Welcome to BYC!
Make a calendar, with the seasonal changes. Then, you will know when to Winterize the coop/pen, and prep for Summer heat too. Take one day at a time, and take time for a cup of coffee, or tea!:frow

Back
Top Bottom