Hello from another Southern Californian

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chillin' with Chickens, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Chillin' with Chickens

Chillin' with Chickens New Egg

Dec 26, 2009
    What's my interest in chickens? It's our interest. My two grand-girls, wife and myself.

It all started with George. 5:30 in the morning we were all awakened by a loud screach. I immediately ran to the bedroom window. I thought a child was screaming on my propery. But, alas it was a chicken, actually a pullet; or maybe a rooster, as it let off what sounded like crowing a couple week later.

One of my g-girls laid a trail of crumbled cornbread through our back yard gate. The bait worked, and she closed the gate. That's Kaitlyn, 6 years old. I told her it was a rooster, so she named it George. But even though George sounds off in the morning, he/it doesn't have a comb, nor saddle feathers. I've changed my mind at least 4 times about it's gender. Shortest single comb I've ever seen, off-white legs, eartufts, basically red with a proud rising gray tail. Doesn't have a wide body, streamlined. Roosts up in my orange tree every night, same place. Doesn't get on the outside furniture, stays on the ground. We really like that. It's kind of wild, it comes to the back door when it thinks we're bringing food, but you really can't get close to it. OK, I'm hooked on chickens. But I'm afraid, I'm going to tell Kaitlyn that it's a girl.

I think my back yard can support a couple more. I want layers, preferably the prolific variety, or the novetly chochlate shell laying variety.

I'm sure I would be glad to hear from you all.

Season's greatings,

Chillin'

2. Lolita

Lolita Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    FL
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG] from Washington

Imp

4. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    [​IMG] [​IMG] From Indiana!

5. crazy huhn

crazy huhn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    [​IMG] from San Diego.

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    [​IMG]

7. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi! Great to see another Southern Californian around here. Welcome!

If you post a picture of George in the "what breed/ gender" part of the forums, folks love to give a go at guesses if it is a pullet or a cockerel or the breed. Either way, it sounds like an interesting chicken.

8. Chillin' with Chickens

Chillin' with Chickens New Egg

Dec 26, 2009
    Ah, your site is wonderful. Beautiful chickens and chicks. I didn't steal your name. Not knowingly anyway. Thanks for the welcome.

Chillin'

9. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Chillin' with Chickens :

I didn't steal your name. Not knowingly anyway.

Chillin'

[​IMG]
    It didn't even cross my mine when I posted. George is just a cool name; no wonder it is popular. [​IMG]
    And thanks for the compliments!​

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  10. fatboys farm

fatboys farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2009
    Franklin GA
    chillenwithchickens welcome from GA. i got a hen that way she just walked and wanted to eat with the others so i let her in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by