HELLO FROM ARKANSAS!

richchicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 3, 2012
The kids have left home and now it is time for me to do the things I enjoy. Chickens, of course! Hubby has built a Taj Mahal chicken house. A 10x10 solid building with a large loft, 10 nesting boxes jutted on the outside, roosts, etc. Pics to come a lil later. We still have to paint it. We also have to fence the area for a run. Looking to order my first babies in a couple months! Barred Rock or Dominique adn Easter Eggers....and I ran into a friend of a friend who was excited to find someone else raising chickens. She has Old Englist Bantams she will give me when I am ready! I am so excited!

Love this forum/website. I do have a few questions tho....

1)In central Arkansas what would be a good time of spring to get chicks?
2)How long do they need to stay in a smaller box-type area until they can be put in the larger house and let out to free range the yard?
3)Looking for a good organic feed. What do I feed first, second and finally every day? Is it possible to make my own feed?

Thanks! for all the wonderful advice in advance.....

Anyone else from Central AR??????

welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio

welcome-byc.gif

The kids have left home and now it is time for me to do the things I enjoy. Chickens, of course! Hubby has built a Taj Mahal chicken house. A 10x10 solid building with a large loft, 10 nesting boxes jutted on the outside, roosts, etc. Pics to come a lil later. We still have to paint it. We also have to fence the area for a run. Looking to order my first babies in a couple months! Barred Rock or Dominique adn Easter Eggers....and I ran into a friend of a friend who was excited to find someone else raising chickens. She has Old Englist Bantams she will give me when I am ready! I am so excited!

Love this forum/website. I do have a few questions tho....

1)In central Arkansas what would be a good time of spring to get chicks? They usually arrive in feed stores around March, which works out fairly well because by the time they are feathered out and big enough to be out of the brooder it'll be warm enough outside for them.
2)How long do they need to stay in a smaller box-type area until they can be put in the larger house and let out to free range the yard? The brooder? As long as they need a heat lamp. They are usually feathered out and ok without it by 6 weeks. Then you might want to keep them locked in the coop/run for a few more weeks just so they know where home is.
3)Looking for a good organic feed. What do I feed first, second and finally every day? Is it possible to make my own feed? Start with starter, then grower, then layer or all flock and oyster shell. I can't help in organic or making your own, but there have been some really good threads on those topics if you search around.
Thanks! for all the wonderful advice in advance.....

Anyone else from Central AR??????

Back
Top Bottom