Hello from Augusta, Ga

oneofseven

Songster
8 Years
Mar 27, 2011
Augusta, Ga
We are a homeschool family and I am trying to get more self sufficient, especially with a family of 7. The coop and run is almost complete. We live in town so we can't have any roosters. I am trying to learn as much about chickens as possible, but have learned there is too much to learn.
lol.png

I commend you on your efforts in living in a urban area and becoming more self sufficient. Also the home schooling. If only people would see how easy it is to take simple steps that eases the burden on us all and creates a better world. I to lived in the city with my chickens at one time. Funny how its perfectly acceptable for dogs to bark at all hours. Sirens to wale endlessly, but have one little rooster crowing and OH MY GOSH!!! Where I now live in the country, we have a nearby college community that preaches low carbon footprints, organic everything and soo on but they are all embarrassed when a neighbor has a chicken and they are trying to have poultry banned within the city limits. They say the chickens project a….get this hypocrisy...”unfavorable image for the intellectual community that are constantly trying to draw better commerce to Ohio University” (i.e. embarrassed when their nose in the air friends come to town) BUTTTT they are so against factory farming and say to by only locally grown products and food. They also say that the chickens create an unsanitary environment. Most city chicken people only have a few like you, which compared to all the cats and dogs doing their duty in yards is nothing. Not to mention your peeps are actually environmentally beneficial to the yard eating up bugs and fertilizing the grass naturally. Anyhow you keep doing what you are doing and know that a former city girl in SE Ohio is rooting for you!
clap.gif

Welcome!
I too love home schoolers--I'm a Montessori teacher and we share views! I also do family counseling and one of my first recommendations is daily and consistent chores for children through which they gain responsibility and self-worth. Chickens are great for this! Have fun!

Cody Sanantonio

Back
Top Bottom