Hello from Australia!

FairyChicken

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 12, 2014
South Australia
Hello BackYard Chickens users!

I decided to make this account to help myself and my family raise our chickens. We recently had our first tragedy - my favourite chicken, EmberDragon, died and it was a complete shock.
So I decided it was a great idea to join a reliable site to help us prevent any more fatalities. A lot of my friends, who are farm folk, don't really see the big deal over one chicken dying (although we only have two now), but to us, our lovely little hens are a part of our family.
I'm not sure if we'll get another hen. Probably in the future, but we want to ensure our other two hens are healthy and happy. ^_^ I hope to learn lots here about my girls, and this is also for my mum and aunt whose chicken owning experience is pretty scarce.

Hope to have fun here!

G'day mate, we love aussies and have quite a large community of them at BYC. If you'd like to know what they are up to, or get homesick just head for "Australia, six states and one funny little island." you can also find mates at any of the Emu threads. So glad you joined the flock.
wee.gif

G'day, and welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry about the loss of EmberDragon. It's always sad to lose one of our flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of hens do you have?

Thanks drumstick diva, BantamLover and Michael OShay! She was so pretty, but I have no idea what breed she was! Our other two were Isa Browns. Ember looked like an Isa Brown, but she had this amazing black design on her feathers that made her look as if they were burning coals. I'll have to do some research. :D

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Sorry for the loss of EmberDragon!

Thanks drumstick diva, BantamLover and Michael OShay! She was so pretty, but I have no idea what breed she was! Our other two were Isa Browns. Ember looked like an Isa Brown, but she had this amazing black design on her feathers that made her look as if they were burning coals. I'll have to do some research. :D

Isa Browns are one of many labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links, and like all Red Sex Links, they are egg laying machines. I know Ember will be missed.

Thanks! :D She was a lovely girl. I'd like to ask what people think about chickens vs ducks? I'd like to have a Khaki Campbell duckling to raise, instead of another chick, as a new experience and because I like ducks. However, my mum seems to dislike them, apart from the fact she has never owned one. I know they are cheaper, so is there something hard about owning a duck?

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I'm so sorry to hear about EmberDragon!
hugs.gif

I've never owned ducks. But I know they are great birds! They imprint more on people than chickens do so you probably will have tamer ducks than chickens. They do however, make lots of noise and are messy. They can't roost so if kept with chickens then they need a separate area to sleep in.

We have a duck area here so feel free to ask more there too.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Back
Top Bottom