Hello from Becker, MN!

LilyOfTheValley

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 20, 2012
I am so glad I found this site, it is chock full of wonderful tips and advice.
A few things about me :

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Yes, green as the grass is in summertime! / My girls arrived on May 23, 2012 at 7 a.m. sharp. Hard to forget, I was so excited for this day to come!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

I thought I ordered 25 girls, but when two started to crow, I knew some changes had taken place!
hmm.png

I am still on-the-fence about what to do with "the boys" - other than their rather loud chatter, and the constant harassment given to my girls, they are well-mannered (which comes contrary to some of the stories I've heard about roo's being aggressive).

(3) What breeds do you have?

Not enough
love.gif
I have 5 of each : Australorp (includes 2 Roo's), Golden Wyandotte, Buff Brahma, Buff Orpington, and Barred Rock.

Never in a million years would I have thought that I would get more than 8 hens (10, max). I found it very difficult to pick just a few from the hatchery, especially since their minimum order was 25. Besides, based on the criteria I've read at this site for each breed, I felt they would all be a perfect fit for me, along with the seasonal weather extremes we have here in Minnesota.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

I wanted to learn more about raising chickens, so I did a search on chicken breeds, to start.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I enjoy my free-time most if I can spend it at home in the company of my animal companions and/or friends while cooking a meal, or sharing a cup of coffee in the morning. As anyone with a lot of pets knows, caring for them can be time consuming. But it's all good, they are what I call, a labor of love!

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I currently have 2 English Springer Spaniels, 2 rescue cats, and one rescued cockatiel, all who graciously allow me to share a home with them,
bow.gif
while my husband and I get stuck with the payments!

I first became interested in chickens when my neighbor had them; they looked like a hoot to care for!
And, since I am very conscious of what I feed my family; it is important that the majority of our food comes from organically produced and/or grass-fed, environmentally-sustainable practices.
So it was that it seemed only fitting to raise my own hens for eggs (I enjoy eating chicken too, but my attachment-factor runs too strong I'm afraid).
Also, because I operate this area's only Professional Pet Sitting business (MnPetSitter.com), it made extra sense to raise these little beauties for myself in order that I may learn the most through practical experience- just as I have with a variety of dog breeds, cats, and one exotic parrot, for over 20 years.

Back
Top Bottom