Hello from Belews Creek, NC

atmaclean

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2012
Stoneville, NC
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Hello! My name is Angela and I have had chickens previously. I had around 40 chickens - all different varieties at my old farm. I had to sell my chickens in 2009 when we sold our farm but I have now gotten back into them and we have about 30 chicks and 30 guinea keets. The guineas are our only hope in the battle against ticks! We have a lot of deer around us and a heavy load of ticks on our horses the past couple years. We hope the guineas will help put a dent in all the ticks we have had.

(3) What breeds do you have?

We have Swedish Flower Hens, a pair of Cream Legbars, blue Wheaten Marans, Brabanter, pure Araucana, Americana and a couple reds. I am trying to purchase some French Black Copper Marans chicks but can't find any...... I enjoy having the colorful eggs :)

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

Google search

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

We train and show horses. I also do critical care rehab of equine. I have adopted several wild mustangs which I gentle and train. My husband is a farrier and also steer-wrestles and team ropes professionally. I work in the public school system. I am currently obtaining my masters in Special Education.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I have two boys ages 13 and 15. They help with the chickens and really enjoy playing with and socializing the babies. My oldest son has helped my husband in constructing our predator-proof chicken habitat. We have 13 horses of our own and usually keep one-two in training. We enjoy camping and trail riding with our horses and have 5 dogs including our LGD, a maremma named Banjo. He is our chicken protector and takes his job very seriously. We also have 3 cats - two live at the barn (excellent hunters) and the third is extremely lazy and chooses not to hunt. She just sleeps on the back deck and watches the bird feeder.

So glad to have this forum and hope to meet some nice folks - hopefully some other NC folks too! Angela

WelcometoBYC.gif

Hello and welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us!

Back
Top Bottom