Hello from Bend, Oregon

Hi! We love Bend and have been trying to move there, though with Covid we are very grateful for being on 5 acres. I’m not looking forward to the cold nights over the hill, so while we stay out, I’m enjoying the warm nights and warm soil ;) My MIL always talks about everyone who plants flowers before June and then they die from frost 😂 Welcome!

We get sporadic killer frosts into July. I stay ahead of it by not planting anything. A free ranging Buck wandered into the yard last summer/fall and ate all my prized hostas down to the roots. So far they don't seem to be coming back at all :hit

Ugh!! My MIL lost 3 new rose bushes to deer last year, right off their porch. We’re doing a garden this year and managed to plant it in the main thoroughfare for the deer around here. Wish us luck 🙏 or the deer luck come bow season😇

Hello Backyard Chicken friends!
My family and I recently moved onto five acres with an existing coop. It may be Spring in Bend, Oregon but our temperatures will continue to dabble in the high 20’s at night for awhile longer. We have a brooder set up in the coop with multiple heat lamps for our new flock of seven:
Buff Orpington
Plymouth Rock
Cream legbar
Speckled Sussex
Blue laced red Wyandotte
White Crested Black Polish
Silkie Bantam
We have had chickens in the past and are excited about our new birds.
Currently we are using wood shavings for the brooder. Unfortunately our daughter is allergic and has to wear gloves when helping with the chickens to help avoid a rash. Any recommendations on a non wood based bedding material?
Our two Valley Bulldogs (boxer & English bulldog) are very excited about their new guard responsibilities. Both can be found sitting on the Coop porch throughout the day guarding their new babes.

Welcome to BackYardChickens! So glad to have you here in our wonderful community of friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people! We live in Lakeside, OR with 1/3 of an acre. Currently we have 3 week old and 5 week old babies in the outside coop with 2 'mama heating plates' set up. We love those! The chicks run under when cold and back out again when warm and no chance of fire.
We have one buff orpington, 2 speckles Sussex, 2 Americaunas (which have green legs, so probably Easter Eggers), 2 amberllink, and 6 Swedish Flower Hen chicks. The "big girls" are mixing comfortably with the "pre-schoolers" and teaching them the ropes.
Of our 2 dogs, both elderly, the pug/rat terrier wants badly to eat them, while the chihuahua/Pappillon completely ignores them.
Our temps here on the coast are in the mid to low 40s now. Welcome to you!

Hi! We love Bend and have been trying to move there, though with Covid we are very grateful for being on 5 acres. I’m not looking forward to the cold nights over the hill, so while we stay out, I’m enjoying the warm nights and warm soil ;) My MIL always talks about everyone who plants flowers before June and then they die from frost 😂 Welcome!

Thank you! Yes, frost is a problem. A greenhouse is a good way to go here for predators and weather. The cold is different in Bend than in the Valley due to our dry climate. The 300 plus days of sunshine are so worth the cold nights!! Only a few days were air conditioning is needed if you leave windows open at night.

Back
Top Bottom