Hello from Birmingham, England.

Chick pea

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 30, 2012
I am new to this, so hope I get this right. I live on the edge of Birmingham, UK with my husband, our grown up daughter & many pets, including 4 hens & 3 chicks. I've been keeping hens for 4 years. I started with ex-battery hens but after losing most of them at various ages to egg peritonitis, my husband suggested I get some "posh Chickens". Our vet is great with the chooks but she couldn't save them. She even tried an emergency hysterectomy on one but she died during surgery.

I now have a Light Sussex, Sliver Sussex, an Amber Star, 1 remaining Ex- Batt & 3 chicks hatched under the light Sussex. The chicks are 2 Wyandottes & a silver grey one that will lay blue eggs if it's a hen. It's something crossed with a Leghorn? I can't remember what the breeder said
hu.gif
. They are almost 3 weeks old. This has been my first experience of a broody hen as ex-Batts never go broody. She set the other Sussex off so we moved her to the broody pen. I then put a board in front of the favourite nest box & shut them out of the coop when the last egg had been laid (this is always quite early) after 2 days the Silver Sussex stopped being broody. Hooray! Strange though, I read somewhere that Sussex hens rarely go broody. Mine obviously haven't read that!
lol.png
We're just hoping the chicks will all be girls.

I've been reading loads of helpful posts on here about broody hens etc over the past weeks & it's been a great help.

Hi
Welcome from Mo all the way to England!
Questions to you...i am new to chicken keeping and havent heard the phrase...what is a" battery hen"?
Do you have photos of your chicks?coop?run? Any photos are wonderful.
Anxious to see pics from England when you can. Very curious

Hello and welcome to BYC! Nice of you to rescue ex-batts
thumbsup.gif
I've got a whole lot running around here and a few of them went broody. They make wonderful moms!

Hi
Welcome from Mo all the way to England!
Questions to you...i am new to chicken keeping and havent heard the phrase...what is a" battery hen"?
Do you have photos of your chicks?coop?run? Any photos are wonderful.
Anxious to see pics from England when you can. Very curious
Check out Help_battery_hens member page. Just type her user name into the search bar. She put up pics and info on there. She's also based in England.

Back
Top Bottom