Hello from Blue Springs, MO

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BurbsteadGirl, Oct 17, 2016.

1. BurbsteadGirl

BurbsteadGirl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2016
    Blue Springs, MO
    New to this forum, but loving everything I've seen so far! I am a huge fan of the self-sufficient lifestyle, which is a big problem since I live in Blue Springs where they have laws against everything remotely resembling self-sufficiency. I'm not allowed to have chickens, or any type of livestock, my garden beds have to be behind the line of my house (in the backyard) and cannot take up more than 1/4 of my plot, I cannot build a green house (it would be too close to my home or a neighbor's property line.), I am not allowed to have a compost bin for anything other than yard waste (so much for my 'waste not want not' moto), and I am not allowed to keep bees. So basically, I need to move! I am in the middle of my 5 year plan to get my home on the market and move to a more self-sufficient friendly area. Until then I'll just hang out hear and learn and dream!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Burbsteadgirl, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us but sorry that your city is so over-regulated as to make it impossible to be a little more self-sufficient. There is a forum on BYC about how to change local laws and ordinances but it sounds like you have bigger plans than just chickens. So, in the meantime BYC is a great place to learn and research until you can make your dream come true. Feel free to ask questions along the way. Here's a great place to start your knowledge quest: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    Best wishes and thanks for joining us!!

1 person likes this.
  3. BurbsteadGirl

Oct 14, 2016
    Blue Springs, MO
    Thanks Redsoxs! Glad to be here! I looked at the laws and ordinances thread, and even found a thread specific to Blue Springs! Even though I plan to move it would be great to lend a hand to everyone else! Chickens are a vital piece of self-sufficiency, just ask any homesteader, so I'm really glad there is a forum like this one for noobs like me!

4. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Aww, I'm sorry you can't have chickens or other livestock! Until then, as @redsoxs said, you can hang around here and learn until your dream can come true! Have a great time on here! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. BurbsteadGirl

Oct 14, 2016
    Blue Springs, MO
    Thanks RodNTN I really appreciate it!

6. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

1 person likes this.
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens. It would be good for you to join your state thread Bycers there may be able to tell you what areas will allow you to be self-sufficient. Also the locals may rally round you to push for changes in the restrictions. Just put state name in search box and it will come up.

1 person likes this.
  9. BurbsteadGirl

Oct 14, 2016
    Blue Springs, MO
    Thank you Drumstick Diva!

10. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thanks for joining us, it's nice to have you here!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by