1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from Buffalo!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by KellyG8, Mar 25, 2016.

1. KellyG8

KellyG8 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2016
    Hi everyone! Today was the big day - I picked up my day old chicks and have started my first flock. I have 4 silver laced wynadottes and 2 buff orpingtons. Everyone seems happy and has been seen eating and drinking. I have one concern though and am hoping you will tell me that I don't have anything to worry about. Someone in the flock has tiny specks of red in their poop. It's sort of bright, so I'm not sure if it's blood. I touched it with a paper towel to see if it would transfer (like I assume blood would) and it didn't. I've attached a picture. The other dropping was actually more like a red string. Stress related? Is it possible for coccidiosis to appear this early?

Thanks in advance for your help! I have so much to learn from you all. :) [​IMG]

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC and congrats on your new chicks. You may wish to re-post your question on the "Emergencies, diseases, injuries and cures" forum in order to optimise your response. I have no experience with the problem you are having (if it is indeed something to worry about) but i hope that peeps on the forum mentioned can advise.

All the best
    CT

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Flock Master Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Please do post on the ER thread. [​IMG]

4. KellyG8

KellyG8 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2016
    Thanks to you both! Seems to have stopped and everyone is looking good. Excited for this adventure! :) [​IMG]

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by