Hello From Canyon, Texas!

CherishHolland

Songster
6 Years
Apr 16, 2013
Canyon Texas
Let's see it is always hard introducing one's self. I guess I can start out with I am a mother of 5 kids and 14 chickens, 13 aquariums and a couple of turtles. Our love of chickens started the weekend before Easter, my husband and I were at the pet store buying crickets for the turtles, when a lady walked in holding a tiny bird cage with 3 itty bitty chicks inside of the cage. The shop keep told her she couldn't have them in city limits,and that she wouldn't be able to take the chicks from her, well my husband opens his mouth and tells them "Oh, we live outside city limits on a couple acres of land." The shop keep said well there ya go now you have chickens.
ep.gif
Out of the 3 one didn't make it no telling how long they had been without food or water. So I went to replace just that one chick and ended up replacing and adding to them. We have 2 RIR 1 Barred Rock 2 cornish rock cross (my 5 yr old picked them I didn't want meat birds can't bring myself to butcher them) 1 sultan 1 polish cochin 2 NJ Giants 2 LegHorns 1 Buff Orpington and 2 barnevelders I love them all as if they were my children. I never knew chickens had such awesome personalities. My husband and I did have a set back last weekend, he built the coop had it 85% done all we had left was to roof it and put the tile down. Well the winds decided to be 50-75mph straightline and it picked up the coop and blew it from the back of the house to the neighbors front yard which is about a half acre away. Heartbreaking but we are rebuilding and the new coop is going to be their mansion as my hubby calls it. BYC has been my lifeline for my girls!
D.gif

Hello and
welcome-byc.gif
So glad you joined

So sorry your coop got destroyed. Maybe that was a sign that you needed to build it bigger anyway :D

And 13 aquariums ! Wow I bet they are beautiful !

Best wishes on a successful coop build this time and good luck raising all those peeps up to happy egg layers

Hi! I have yet to get a real coop but I've been thinking about it daily, trying to plan my attack lol I'm so worried about our lovely Kansas winds. Best of luck to you and yours!

Katie

Thank you all so much for making me feel welcomed, I am so glad I joined. I didn't think my husband would get involved with this the way he has,he even has a favorite chicken! I tell him yeah she is your chick she follows you everywhere and sits on his lap while he watches tv. She calls for him,it is just amusing.

Thank you all so much for making me feel welcomed, I am so glad I joined. I didn't think my husband would get involved with this the way he has,he even has a favorite chicken! I tell him yeah she is your chick she follows you everywhere and sits on his lap while he watches tv. She calls for him,it is just amusing.
That is adorable! My daughter and I are sharing a home with my mother (bless her lol) and although she certainly wasn't excited about chicks and even said "I wash my hands of them" she has been pretty involved and helping me.

My kids argue over whose turn it is to take care of the chickens. They all want to take care of them. My 8 year old asked if the sultan can be her's, I asked why and she told me that she is beautiful and she wants her to be her show chicken, she has even named her Marylin after Marylin Monroe I ask why that name and she tells me it is because she is BEAUTIFUL! Growing up we had chickens,ducks,turkeys and rabbits. All the kids in the neighborhood liked going to our house because to them it was a zoo!

Back
Top Bottom