Hello from Carlisle, Kentucky USA. Newbie here! Just picked them up last night and already hooked. Any and all advice appreciated.

chickey58

In the Brooder
May 7, 2021
Newbie here! Just picked them up last night and already hooked. Any and all advice appreciated. We hope we have two pullets and a cockerel but time will tell. They are a barnyard mix but they are friendly. Only 3 for now as I need a much larger coop :) I am already ready to add on.
183420937_10219307630578496_6381270495431891476_n.jpg

Hello, and welcome! If you do have a cockerel, you will need more than just 2 girl's for him. Once his hormones would kick in he would very quickly wear just 2 girl's out and could hurt them, unless he was separated and only put with the 2 girl's for short period's of time when you wanted to have fertile egg's.

Newbie here! Just picked them up last night and already hooked. Any and all advice appreciated. We hope we have two pullets and a cockerel but time will tell. They are a barnyard mix but they are friendly. Only 3 for now as I need a much larger coop :) I am already ready to add on. View attachment 2654977
Great to have you on BYC! Enjoy this very nice community and congratulations on your first 3 chickens...

Hello, and welcome! If you do have a cockerel, you will need more than just 2 girl's for him. Once his hormones would kick in he would very quickly wear just 2 girl's out and could hurt them, unless he was separated and only put with the 2 girl's for short period's of time when you wanted to have fertile egg's.
Yes the guy I bought them from told me to bring one back and he would exchange for a hen. Mostly I was wanting him for protection to the girls so I definitely don't want to overwhelm any of them.

Back
Top Bottom