Hello from Central Florida

Captain Cluck

Songster
13 Years
Jun 19, 2009
Central Florida
I just stumbled across this lovely group of folks on Thursday, and learned so much, I just had to join! (Mostly because I have loads of questions)

I read the introduction thread, so here is my "resume" LOL

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I have had chickens off and on since I was a teen. My first chicken was a mystery breed bantam hen named Candy, who lived in a box in my room when i WAS 15, until she started laying eggs. Then Dad built me a little pen for her. She was quickly joined by a white turkey named Woodstock and two mystery breed chicks a neighbor dumped into our yard one week after easter. (Mom named her Cotton Candy Panties - because she had these cute little fluffs of feathers across her bum - they looked like rumba panties!)

My girls had Barred Plymouth Rocks as pets and those hens had a wicked sense of humor. You could just see them laugh as they snatched snacks and bugs out of little girls' hands and ran just fast enough to not be caught.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? None, but a friend offered us two cross bred Rhode Island Reds - the other half is a mystery breed. They have over 30 chooks at their little farm-ette. I really just want a few laying hens and maybe a pair of exotics for looks.

(3) What breeds do you have? In the past I've had mystery bantams, Bantam x jungle fowl, mystery large chickens, Black Sex Link, Rhode Island Red and Barred Plymouth Rocks

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? I was googling chicken coops and stumbled in here. I decided to stay.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Nothing dramatic... I quilt, paint furniture, garden, make soap that takes the dirt & stink right off your hands and leaves them soft.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Family: I am married to a wonderfully patient and creative man who is a genius when it comes to building anything, Mom to two beautiful daughters and 2 wonderful sons in law, Grandmom to 4 terrific grandkids.

Other Pets: Currently we have a crazy American Eskimo, 5 generic cats, and two house rabbits. We are looking into laying hens and may have the grandkids join 4-H to avoid any neighbor "issues". I have my eyes on a pair of Black Tail White Japanese Bantams ' cause they're so pretty. And maybe a pair of Phoenix bantams, too.
wink.png

Work: My husband is a crater. No, not a hole in the moon! He builds crates the size of small houses to ship machinery out to other countries.
I am a rep for a dental plan company that offers very affordable dental and medical plans. We believe that everyone should have access to health care, and we are determined to help those who are uninsured or under insured and do not qualify for state aid to get affordable health care. I will not advertise on these boards (but you did ask
cool.png
)
I have been asked to sell my soaps, so may be building a website for that one day.

We would love to live on a homestead out in the country, but we'll live as sustainably as we can on our little lot in a little 'city' (our 'city' is 2 sq miles of houses, small sole-proprietor businesses and small homesteads in the piney woods -LOL, but we're a little over 120 years old! my husband and I have lived here about 30 years and raised out girls here.)

Now, if we can just keep our chooks out of sight of this one cranky neighbor, we'll have it made.
(Chooks - what a cool word! We used to call them 'Itty-bitties' and 'Biddies')

It's really nice here. I'm glad I found you all!
smile.png

Welcome! I am in Polk County Fl, winter haven area. We need to get a polk county swap going....lol

Glad you found the site and if you need anything.....holla

welcome-byc.gif

Thanks for the welcomes! and so fast! I feel all warm and fuzzy inside... (insert happy, huggy smiley here)

Redoak - yeah, I'm begging him to 'recycle' a few this way. He does when his boss allows it.
wink.png
Usually the crates coming in are lots smaller than the ones going out, though.

Wohneli - I kinda figured that out after spending the last 3 days glued to these forums, LOL. I'm usually doing stuff!
lol.png

Well, now that I'm 'official', I guess I can go ask questions that I haven't found the answers to...
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom