Hello from Central MN

CWDancer

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 29, 2013
Hi there! I am new to this thread, but not new to raising chickens. I've been raising chickens for about 7 or 8 years now. Right now I have 32 birds, most are laying. Today I got 27 eggs so far. I have black sex links, red sexlinks and a few Americaunas.
My grandchicldren love to help pick eggs and of course cahase the chickens trynig to catch one to pet. Silly kids, never works. Best they get is one might squat long enough for them to give it a quick pet before it runs off, lol!

Today I spent the morning rendering lard, now I have about 2 pounds of cracklings and don't know if I can feed them to my girls or if I should save them and fix them with some lard to feed to the wild birds this summer. Any thoughts on that?

Just finished stacking wood for the last 2 hours and now I'm thinking of doing some sewing.
Have a great day!
Diane

welcome-byc.gif

Glad to have you join us!

I look forward to learning something from you!

Caroline from Jacksonville

Welcome to the forum!

Im not sure about the lard cracklings. Maybe someone else will know? We gave our chickens dried bacon grease once and it didnt seem to harm them, so maybe lard is okay?

Last edited:
Greetings from College Station, Texas. I have a six-year old grandson who was recently visiting from Chicago. He was so fascinated and obsessed by the chickens that he went out to the henhouse several times a day to check on chickens and eggs. If nobody was sitting on a nest, he would go out into the yard and find one of the girls bathing in the dirt, pick her up and carry her to the henhouse. Then he would stand there and wait. The funny thing is that our chickens didn't seem to mind his attentions. They're mostly Easter Eggers, who I've found to be especially friendly and understanding with children.

Back
Top Bottom