1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from Central Nebraska!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jrosemoore, Jan 31, 2012.

1. jrosemoore

jrosemoore Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Nebraska
    I have been a member since I first owned chickens---December 2009. I have owned one buff orpington, many leghorns, a few easter eggers and rhode islands, one australorp, and five barred rock chickens. I also used a very broody hen to hatch and raise guinea keets. It was one of the cutest families I ever created. When my husband was offered a new position near North Platte, Nebraska our family packed up and moved into our new home, with our all our lovely chickens and guineas.

Sadly, not more than a week after we moved in a stray dog ripped into the coop and ended the lives of almost all of my chickens. My husband woke me early in the morning and I had to gather their bodies or end their lives quickly to stop the pain. It was a hard lesson to learn. I lost 12 chickens that day, some guinea keets(and their chicken mother). So now, with my reinforced coop and, ahem...better aim at Nebraska's predators---we are starting over.

I still own two chickens from my original group, a rhode island red and a barred rock. My rhode island red actually "adopted" the remaining guinea keet after the accident and I refer to her as old mother hen, since she is the top girl of the group. Then I have several star breed layers and just one very annoying guinea hen left...who calls out...all hours of the day.... I call the guinea "Smarty Pants" since she is the only one to have survived and returned to the coop every night.

We live way out in the hills of the wilderness here in Nebraska. We have visits from bobcats, opposums, skunks, hawks, and owls on a regular basis. If anyone has tips to prevent these predators from entering my coop feel free to share since I may have not tried that technique yet and reinforcements are always welcome.

Anyway, I am set to receive my shipment from McMurray Hatchery next monday. 15 Cornish, 7 Orpingtons, 4 Silkies, and I am currently incubating some dark cornish chickens now. My incubator is homemade and they are set to hatch on the 9th of February. We'll see how that goes!

Thanks for reading. I look forward to meeting more of you soon :)

Jasmine

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

HI Jasmine! [​IMG] from S. Florida! Its great to have you here with us! I'm sorry about the loss of your chickens. Its great that you have reinforced their coop. Unfortunately, these animals live among us, and we just need to keep them out. Sounds like your certainly on your way to do that. [​IMG] You will find lots of good answers here! Congrats on the new babies coming!

3. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    I am sad for your loss....but excited about the new babies that are coming. That RIR needs a big hug for becoming momma!!
    WELCOME BACK!!!

4. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

So sorry on your loss. Best of luck with the new chickens!!

5. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BackYardChickens

6. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from southern Ohio!!!!

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

8. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. HiddenHens987

HiddenHens987 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hello and Welcome to Backyard Chickens from SE PA! Glad to hear about your up coming delivery and hope everything goes smooth for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by